Wondering where to stay in Scotland? Here is a list of 12 Scotland accommodations that I used during my road trip around the country. Discover some Hotels, B&B, Cottages in places such as the Isle of Skye, Glencoe, Edinburgh...
Navigate back to the complete Travel Scotland Guide
This article contains affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
PLANNING TIPS - Scotland Accommodations
Classic Scotland Accommodations
- The most classic places to stay in Scotland are the B&Bs (Bed and Breakfast). There are small houses where bedrooms are for guest and where breakfast is served in the morning. Less facilities but a more personalized service
- You can, of course, find hotels in Scotland especially in the major cities. However, it is way easier to find a B&B...
- For those prefering self-catering, Airbnb has great options for Scotland Accomodations. Some regions are poor in Airbnb options but others are really great. You can get beautiful houses right next to lochs with amazing views...
Camping in Scotland
- Camping is a great way to discover Scotland. If you can the van or motorhome would be a better option as it gets cold and rainy
- This will allow you to stay in wild area such as Glen Etive or near Loch Leven
- There are many campsites with all facilities - find a visitor center and ask for the map of campsites
- Check out the Visit Scotland guidelines of Wild Camping
Staying in a Castle in Scotland
- For those with a budget you can also stay in a Castle, the top of Scotland accommodations 🙂
- Find out some suggestions of Castle Hotels in Scotland at the end of my article about the best Scottish Castles.
General Tips about Scotland Accommodations
- Book in advance especially for summer everywhere and anytime for the Isle of Skye
- Be ready to have fun with the showers. Most have machines to control hot water
NOTES ON THE FOLLOWING REVIEWS
- I selected and paid for all my accommodations. Opinions are my own.
- The reviews are based on one single stay
- I personally always use Booking.com and Airbnb this is why I do my recommendation via those websites.
LOCH LOMOND Accommodation
Where to stay in Scotland ? Loch Lomond...
Loch Lomond is one of the most visited places in Scotland because it is very close to Glasgow and Edinburg. And also because it is located in the beautiful Trossachs Park.
Because of its popularity, all the places to stay and Loch Lomond accommodation are expensive and fill up quickly.
Loch Lomond accommodation Suggestion:
I opted to stay at the nearby Loch Long just a few kilometers from Loch Lomond. I found this beautiful little house with great views of the loch and modern decor.
The accommodation I selected was via AirBnB: Arrochar cottage, near Loch Lomond. We stayed 2 nights.
- Location: perfect, quiet yet practical - amazing views on Loch Long
- State: the place is all modern with good furniture and a lot of equipment. 3 bedrooms (2 with views of the loch) - good wifi
- Check-in: Keybox with code, very easy to get in at any time - nice email exchanges with owners
- Breakfast: N/A - Airbnb is self catering - all equipment in kitchen
- This was one of my favorite Scotland Accommodations during our road trip
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations near Loch Lomond
Where to stay in Scotland ? Glencoe...
Glencoe is one of the most magical places in Scotland with high summits, sparkling lochs and the connection with Nature.
My favorite loch in Scotland was Loch Leven. And I am so happy that I decided to stay at the end of this Loch in Kinlochleven making me tour this jewel of a place instead of just crossing it with the bridge.
Glencoe accommodation Suggestion:
Kinlochleven has a great variety of accommodations. Based on reviews on Booking I selected the Allengrange B&B.
- Location: Not close to the center but quiet on a hill with great views of the mountains.
- State: Perfect, recent furniture, very clean, very confortable - excellent Wifi
- Check-in: Slightly complicated as you have to chech at another facility in Kinlochleven and they then take you there. But not too hard either 🙂
- Breakfast: Excellent! The best we had in Scotland with the option of full scottish or salmon, fruits. Nice breakfast room.
- This was also one of my favorite Scotland Accommodations during our road trip
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations in Glencoe
LOCH NESS Accommodation
Where to stay in Scotland ? Loch Ness...
The most famous Loch in Scotland, Loch Ness is quite long. You can stay in Inverness at its Northern end and visit on a day tour. Or you can stay in Drumnadrochit that is the main town at the middle of Loch Ness not far from the famous Urquhart castle.
Loch Ness Accommodation Suggestion:
Being a touristic destinations, the places to stay at Loch Ness fill up very quickly. Based on what remained available and reviews on Booking.com I selected the Springburn B&B in Drumnadrochit.
- Location: Nothing special. Easy access.
- State: Clean, Not very modern, not enough natural light for my liking and decor not to my taste but to stay one night it was fine. Internet OK
- Check-in: Easy no issue - the couple who runs it is very welcoming
- Breakfast: Good breakfast Scottish or Continental.
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations near Loch Ness
ISLE OF SKYE Accommodation
Where to stay in Scotland ? Isle of Skye..
Isle of Skye Accommodation Suggestion:
I booked very very late and nothing was left. I really wanted to stay on the island so I splurge and booked a very nice accommodation: Quayside apartment in the heart of Portree where the colored houses are.
- Location: Right in the center of Portree with views of the magnificent bay
- State: Very nice furniture, many bathrooms, comfy living room. I wish I had had more time to enjoy it but I perfered spenindg time checking out the island - not good wifi but they were working on fixing it (island issue..)
- Check-in: Keybox with code, easy check-in, good communication wiht representatives, welcome basket with things to nibble
- Breakfast: N/A - self catering
- PORTREE WITH STYLE - Heatherfield House B&B is one of the best rated accommodation on the Isle of Skye. Great location, stylish decor and wonderful views, it has a lot for everyone - Check Photos and Prices
- OFF THE BEATEN TRACK - Hazel Bank Skye in Colbost (North East of Skye) offers a wonderful atmosphere for those looking for comfort and connecting with nature. Check Photos and prices
- CLOSE TO MANY OF THE MOST FAMOUS LOCATIONS - Staffin is very central to the most famous places on the Island. The Hallaig Guest House is slightly remote from the town so it can offers beautiful views of the mountains. Check photos and prices
- TRADITIONAL LUXURY + VIEWS - The Cuillin Hills Hotel offers views across the Portree Harbour especially enjoyable during breakfast. Slightly out of town, but worth it to get the views - Check photos and prices
- BUDGET - The Portree SYHA Hostelling is a good option for those looking for a cheaper option. It has a great location in Portree. Very practical! Check photos and prices!
- For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations in Portree
Where to stay in Scotland ? Lochinver...
For those traveling to the North of Scotland, there are 2 main towns to stay before reaching the North Coast: Kinlochleven and Ullapool. Considering the distance we had to drive I opted for Kinlochleven.
Lochinver Accommodation Suggestion:
I found a very nice accommodation in Lochinver with lots of light. I selected it based on the Booking.com reviews. My suggestion in The Rose B&B:
- Location: Great location - peaceful with nice views of the loch
- State: Clean and simple. Comfortable beds. Bathrooms are shared but sufficient and separated from toilets. Wifi OK.
- Check-in: Easy. No issues.
- Breakfast: Really good, cooked to order with a nice view of the sea loch
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations in Lochinver
Where to stay in Scotland ? Thurso in the North...
If you take the ferry to Orkney Islands, it is practical to stay in Thurso, a couple of km from the pier at Scrabster.
Thurso Accommodation Suggestion:
Based on price, location and studio-like room with more space, I opted for a stay at the Station Hotel.
Sorry, I forgot to take pictures...
- Location: very practical with a parking at the back
- State: Clean, Large room with sofa, nice atmosphere at the bar. Wifi only available at the bar not in the room. Not very modern
- Check-in: No special issue
- Breakfast: OK, not as fantastic as in other places with stayed in Scotland
Another option to sleep on the ferry: if you take the 6am departure you can get on board the evening before and book a cabin.
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations in Thurso
Where to stay in Scotland ? Orkney islands...
With iconic neolithic sites to visit, Mainland Orkney is one of the top Scottish Islands to explore: with the Ring of Brodgar, the Standing Stones of Stenness, Skara Brae... Take the ferry and spend one night!
Orkney Accommodation Suggestion:
For a question of budget, I was looking for a cheap accommodation not far from the ferry wharf. I opted for the Orca Guesthouse which was recommended by the visitscotland website.
- Location: very practical in the center of Stromness not far from the wharf and all facilities
- State: Very simple and old but clean. Not much light entering the room. Wifi ok
- Check-in: Very nice person to receive us. No issues.
- Breakfast: Breakfast was fine
- Good for the price
Especially if you take the ferry the next morning, Stromness is a great place to stay in Orkney.
For other options, check out the
Where to stay in Scotland ? Inverness...
Inverness is one of the best towns in Scotland. It has a lot of charm with many many B&Bs.
Inverness Accommodation Suggestion:
Based on reviews on Booking.com, I selected the Kilcumin Guesthouse. My mum insists that I tell you how great it was. She really enjoyed it.
- Location: Excellent location in the center. Easy to walk to the river and all things to do in Inverness
- State: All modern, new and clean. Good wifi. Very comfortable
- Check-in: Very nice welcome. All is made for you to feel good. Many information provided.
- Breakfast: Very nice breakfast with fresh fruits, good bread and Scottish option
- To my mum's opinion, this was one of my favorite Scotland Accommodations during our road trip
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations in Inverness
LOCH TAY Accommodation
Where to stay in Scotland ? Near a loch...
Not wanting to stay in the Cairngorm National park, we drove further South to the magnificent Lochs between the park and the Trossachs.
Loch Tay Accommodation Suggestion:
My choice ended up being the Tulloch Cottage in Lawers along Loch Tay where we spent 2 nights. It was one fo the places we enjoyed the most. Great for relaxing.
- Location: Isolated above Loch Tay with great views. Very quiet.
- State: Not very modern but spacious and clean. No wifi at the moment but they are considering it. (however I enjoyed the forced break)
- Check-in: Nice couple. They own the house nearby. We had delicious fresh eggs waiting for us.
- Breakfast: N/A - self catering
- The most relaxing of our Scotland accommodations
Where to stay in Scotland ? Edinburgh...
Edinburgh is a must stop for any trip to Scotland. The very historic city has a lot to offer
Edinburgh Accommodation Suggestion:
There is a lot of choice on Airbnb for places to stay in Edinburgh. I selected Thistle Street Apartment because I wanted to be able to walk everywhere. Location Location Location.
- Location: perfect - easy to walk to the castle, the Royal Mile and Castle Hill. (although remember that Edinburgh is not falt at all). Many restaurants around.
- State: Clean - modern bathroom and kitchen. Living room is less modern. Good wifi. The bedroom is nice, however the sofabed was not the most comfortable. As with many places to stay in Edinburgh, the streets are narrow and dark so not much light enter the apartment
- Check-in: Kyebox with code at another place nearby. No issues.
- Breakfast: N/A self-catering
Or have a look at those amazing other options:
- First price - Best rated hostel is the High Street Hostel located in the old town - Check photos and prices
- FAMILY - want to stay on the Royal Mile. The St Giles Apartments will offer you the flexibility of eating in or out - Check photos and prices
- MID-RANGE - The Inn place will offer you good comfort with a great location in the old town - Check photos and prices
- APART HOTEL - The Princes Street Suites are close to everything but more modern than the old town. A great combination - Check photos and prices
- LUXURY and HISTORY - Since 1902, the Balmoral Hotel welcomes guests in Edinburgh - Check photos and prices
- LUXURY and BEST VIEWS - The Waldorf Astoria The Caledonian offers rooms with an unobstructed view of the Castle and the old town. Amazing to wake up to see it - Check photos and prices
- or Check out the Best Rated accommodations in Edinburgh
Where to stay in Scotland ? Glasgow...
Glasgow is not an easy city to get around. The things to do are everywhere.
Glasgow Accommodation Suggestion:
I selected on AirBnB the City Center Suite because of the balance location-price.
Sorry I forgot to take my own pictures.
- Location: Not too far from the city center (you can walk there). There is a nearby stop for the Hop On Hop off bus.
- State: Fine. Good space. Dining table not the most practical. Good if you are 2, not so much if you are more.
- Check-in: Slightly complicated but we managed
- Breakfast: N/A self catering
For other options, check out the Best Rated accommodations in Glasgow
SCOTTISH BORDER Accommodation
As we made our way South through the Scottish Borders we stayed right at the border in a small town called Gretna Green.
Scottish Border Accommodation Suggestion:
I selected the Hazeldene Hotel based on reviews and price.
- Location: practical not far from the highway
- State: Clean. Simple. Not much space. Sufficient for one night
- Check-in: No issues
- Breakfast: Correct
Want to see more of SCOTLAND?
Discover more things to do & places to see in my Travel Scotland Destination Guide.
Which ones inspire you to book a stay?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: