Crete, Greece is one of the most beautiful islands in Europe with breathtaking scenery from Mountain to Sea.
Below is my Crete Travel guide to help you plan your ideal itinerary including the best places in Crete (especially beaches, gorges, archeological sites...), a road trip guide and plenty of photos and video to make you dream of your next trip!
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TIME IN CRETE!
In this article, no ads, no sponsored posts. Just some affiliate links.
If you purchase through them, I get a commission at no extra cost to you (Disclosure).
Crete Travel Guide written by Claire, the ultimate Travel Planning Geek
"With the Zigzag Travel Guides, Planning is half the fun of Traveling"
Pure Travel Planning Inspiration!
No Ads - No Sponsored Content
Best things to do in Crete island
Discover general articles about the best things to do and destinations in Crete. Get inspired to visit this magnificent Greek island with many landscapes from mountains to sea displaying unbelievable colors: You won't get bored!
The whole island offers breathtaking scenery everywhere you look. Discover mountains, gorges, beaches, monasteries, archeological sites...
eBook: The Road Trip Guide - Crete
Simplify the planning of your Crete road trip!
Looking for a selection of the most scenic places to see in Crete, practical maps and systematic information to plan your trip? Have a look at the eBook:
- 5 easy-to-plan Maps
- 60+ scenic locations in Crete
- Tips to plan your visits and make the most of your time
- 150+ large photos to help you decide where to go
- GPS coordinates right to the carparks
Crete Travel Guide - How to Plan your Trip
Here is a map to help you understand where the Crete island is located in the Mediterranean Sea, South of Greece
You can also get a better understand of where the main towns are.
Detailed maps designed to help planning are available in the eBook.
Below are my articles to help you define your ideal itinerary, get ready to drive in Crete, plan your accommodations, pack and have a fantastic trip!
Need to rent a car in Crete?
- Option 1 - Check out the local company Rental Center Crete - excellent ratings and a zero-excess insurance policy included
- Option 2 - Compare offers on Discovercars.com - one of the best customer-rated comparison sites!
- Choose the car and company you prefer (with enough power for comfort on mountain roads)
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
Other practical websites to book your trip
BOOK YOUR ACCOMMODATION & TOURS
- I personally use Booking.com for their large choice of both hotels and apartments, their real reviews and reductions for repeat customers - Book your accommodations via Booking.com (or if you prefer - Book with Hotels.com)
- DAY TRIPS - The other travel option I like to just seat and relax while admiring the scenery it to Book day trips and organized tours. I also like to have my tickets beforehand to save time. I personally use GetYourGuide.com and Viator.com
GET TRAVEL INSURANCE
- I wish you a very smooth trip, but my policy is: better be prepared. I personally use World Nomads. Get a quote online here.
Best places in North Crete, Greece
North Crete is the more developed region - it offers organized beaches, main archeological sites, historical monasteries and all the main towns.
Best places in South Crete Island
South Crete is the wild region of the island - it offers national parks, gorges, wild coast, isolated villages, colorful beaches... and a more relaxed vibe!
Visiting the East coast of Crete
The East coast is wild with canyons, beaches, ruins and small villages. It offers vibrant colors and unspoiled areas.
Boat trips & Excursions
Greece is full of islands, you can enjoy boat trips to some stunning and very close small islands or plan a full day excursion to the famous Santorini.
And keep track of your own trip!
GENERAL TRAVEL TIPS
And below are some of my tips to help you have a wonderful trip!