Santorini is one of the most inspiring island in the world with its white architecture on top of high cliffs
Below is my Santorini Travel guide to help you plan your ideal itinerary including the best places in Santorini (especially ...),how to get around, where to stay and plenty of photos and video to make you dream of your next trip!
MAKE THE MOST OF YOUR TIME Santorini!
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Pure Travel Planning Inspiration! (No Ads - No Sponsored Content)
Best things to do in Santorini
Let's starts with some overall articles to share with you the best places in Santorini: the best beaches, the best villages, the best viewpoints, the best activities...
The island is small but there is lots to do. As a summary, some of my favorite locations in Santorini are:
- The village of Oia - there is a reason for its notoriety, the views and the architecture are spectacular (my tip: visit at sunrise!)
- The beach of Vlichada - its tortuous cliffs sculpted by the elements are so much fun to photograph!
- The village of Emporio - the maze of narrow streets with incredible architecture is worth getting lost in 🙂
- The Catamaran cruise along the South coast - what a day!
Santorini Travel Guide - Introduction Map
Below is a simple map of Santorini that you will see in several of my articles. It helps you located the most famous areas and get oriented to plan your Santorini travels.
To help you plan your trip to Santorini, I have compiled all my favorite locations with practical information and maps:
Be overwhelmed by the Beauty, not the Planning!
- 6 easy-to-plan Maps
- 40 scenic locations and photo stops to consider for your itinerary
- Planning tips to make the most of your time
- GPS coordinates for peace of mind
- 90+ photos to help you select where to go
Planning a trip to Santorini Island
Inspired by all these amazing places to see in Santorini? Well, now it is time to plan your trip, to decide: when to go, how to get around, how long to stay etc...
How long to visit Santorini?
I think 3 days is a minimum to have a look at the various areas Santorini has to offer and to have the time to do a Catamaran Cruise (I really loved it!)
How to get to Santorini?
There are 3 main options to reach Santorini:
- By Ferry - from another island or from Athens - this is a fantastic way to arrive in Santorini with views of the giant cliffs! Book your ferries
- By plane - There is an airport on the island with frequent flights from Athens and Europe
- By cruise - I really don't recommend it - 1 day in Santorini including the time to get off and on the ship is really to short - it will really be a tiny snapshot
When and how to travel to Santorini
Below are my articles to help you chose when to plan your trip to Santorini and how to get around (including the driving conditions).
As a summary:
- Summer has the hottest weather and warm water if you want to enjoy the beach but it get crowded
- Shoulder seasons offer good weather with less tourists
- Winter is getting more popular - weather can be cloudy and the wind can be cold, but you can enjoy the best views without crowds pushing you!
- Public bus run throughout the island from Fira
- Renting a car allows you to explore more of the island. Road are overall in good conditions, and all road signs are using latin alphabet
Need to rent a car in Santorini?
- Compare prices on my favorite platform: Discovercars.com - one of the best rated comparison sites!
- Choose the car and company you prefer (prefer a compact car for the narrow village roads)
- Consider their full coverage option - I always take it for peace of mind!
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
Where to stay in Santorini
Deciding where to stay in Santorini is a difficult decision - between price, views, access, beach and all, there are many criteria to take into consideration. Below are my articles to guide you in your decision, depending on what the most important is for you - including the best areas to stay in Santorini, the best hotels, cave accommodations, quiet options...
Where to stay in Santorini?
- My favorite white village to stay in: Oia - See best rated accommodations
- For exploring the island by bus: Fira - See best rated accommodation
- For enjoying the beach and nightlife: Kamari - See best rated accommodations
- For cheaper options: Emporio - See best rated accommodations
- For beach time away from the crowds: Vlychada - See few accommodations
Find more inspiration in my article about where to stay in Santorini
Planning your visits in Santorini
And below I share with you more detailed articles about some of my favorite places on the island - with plenty of pictures of Santorini to help you decide if you want to visit and the plan everything.
They include some of the most beautiful beaches and the most fascinating villages.
General Travel Tips
Practical websites to book your trip
BOOK YOUR ACCOMMODATION & TOURS
- I personally use Booking.com for their large choice of both hotels and apartments, their real reviews and reductions for repeat customers - Book your accommodations via Booking.com (or if you prefer - Book with Hotels.com)
- DAY TRIPS - The other travel option I like to just seat and relax while admiring the scenery it to Book day trips and organized tours. I also like to have my tickets beforehand to save time. I personally use GetYourGuide.com and Viator.com
GET EQUIPMENT YOU NEED
- CLOTHES, SAFETY ITEMS, PACKING PRACTICAL ITEMS, LUGGAGE, ELECTRONICS... Get it on Amazon (US, UK and Canada only)
GET TRAVEL INSURANCE
- I wish you a very smooth trip, but my policy is: better be prepared. I personally use World Nomads. Get a quote online here.