Here is a guide to help finalize the planning of your trip: Learn more about where to stay in Slovenia and discover great suggestions of Slovenia Accommodations in Ljubljana, Bled, Bohinj, Bovec, Piran and at many of the most beautiful destinations.
Navigate back to the complete Slovenia Travel Guide
This article contains affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Where to stay in Slovenia
2 options to organize your trip and choose where to stay
Slovenia is a very easy place to travel around.
It is not too big and the capital city is located in the center. So wherever you are, you are always under 2 hours from it.
Because of that, you can really consider 2 types of holidays in Slovenia:
- Stay in one or two of the Touristic hubs as a base and drive around to visit
- Go on a road trip and change accommodation every night or every couple of nights
Main Touristic destinations to stay
If you decide to stay at 1 or 2 places only, the main options are Ljubljana, Bled, Bovec and Piran/Portoroz. You can find accommodation suggestions for all 4 in this article.
Below is a map with those 4 potential Slovenian destinations to stay:
- Staying in Ljubljana - in the charming capital city, very central and easy access to all destinations via motorway - However you may experience some traffic jam getting out or in (jump to Ljubljana accommodation section here)
- Staying in Lake Bled - the most famous attraction in Slovenia, it has many restaurants, the mountains and the charm of the lake - However it is full full full of tourists (jump to Bled accommodation section here)
- Staying in Bovec - for those who love hiking and adrenaline activities such as rafting, canyoning, kayaking... It is perfect for those who love amazing landscapes but it is further away from the other attractions (jump to Bovec accommodation section here)
- Staying in Piran / Portoroz - If you are more of a seaside traveler, Piran has a lot of charm. However it is not as easy to visit the rest of Slovenia from there (jump to Piran accommodation section here)
But if you go on a road trip, there are many other great places to stay around Slovenia 🙂
Plan your itinerary
Whatever your decision: staying in a hub or going on a road trip, to plan your itinerary, have a look at my eBook with its practical maps:
Plan your perfect trip to Slovenia!
- 7 maps to easily plan your itinerary
- 100+ selected locations so you don't miss the most beautiful places
- GPS + info to make the most of your time
- 190+ original photos to get inspired
Slovenia Accommodation Options
Classic Accommodations in Slovenia
There is nothing special to know about accommodations in Slovenia.
You find all your typical options: Hotels, Guesthouses, Rental, Hostels...
But for something a little different you can also stay at Tourist farms.
Note that in the mountainous regions, you will find mostly guesthouses and rentals.
Glamping & Camping in Slovenia
Another option is camping. I must admit that their campsites are well hidden, because I have not seen that many 🙂
Glamping (Camping in all the comfort) is also a big trend, with nice hut or large tents to enjoy nature without missing facilities.
Why stay in Ljubljana Slovenia
Ljubljana is the capital city, centrally located and a vibrant town with lots to taste and explore.
You can visit museums, get up to the castle, enjoy a stroll a long the river or a boat ride...
It is a great place to stay for a couple of nights or to base your holidays. Check out my article about Ljubljana
I spent the some time doing surprise visits to hotels I had pre-selected to check them out for you.
OPTION 1 - LESAR HOTEL ANGEL
Name: Lesar Hotel Angel
Location: in the pedestrian streets of Ljubljana, closed to all the attractions
Review: It is set up in an old Buildings typical of the area. So it is quite fun to navigate inside with all the corridors and staircases (though some of the rooms may not be great for people with mobility issues)
Staff was really welcoming and charming, decor was well designed with a great cocooning effect.
Extra: One of the rooms even has its own terrace. Loved it!
OPTION 2 - CUBO HOTEL
Name: Cubo Hotel
Location: just outside of the pedestrian area, so with easy access to all attractions
Review: the Cubo hotel is modern with lots of light in the rooms. Many of them have views of the castle.
Staff was warm and keen to help. I stayed a long time in the lobby because, of course, arriving guests had priority over my surprised visit so I was able to see how they were taken care of and it was great.
OPTION 3 - ADORA HOTEL
Name: Adora Hotel
Location: very close to all the attractions (just at the limit of the pedestrian area
Review: Good value for money. Different size of rooms for different budgets. Rooms are simple, clean and bright. All you need for a good night sleep.
I had the opportunity to chat a little with the staff. They were very helpful and friendly
Reviews say that breakfast is great, but at 3pm I as not able to verify 🙂
OPTION 4 - URBAN HOTEL
Name: Urban Hotel
Location: not far from the Skyscraper building
Review: the Urban Hotel is a practical option with good value for money, modern design and spacious rooms.
Here are well, staff and manager were really friendly and welcoming.
Note: don't be scared by the austere outside, it is all new inside 🙂
OPTION 5 - PRISON HOSTEL CELICA ART
Name: Prison Hostel Celica Art
Location: 15 min walk from the city center
Review: Want a fun night in Ljubljana? head to the Prison Hostel. You read right. It used to be a prison. One floor haas traditional bunker beds dormitories. But the best options is the sleep in one of the cells. They have all been decorated by different artists and look very different.
I was able to see several of them with paintings, circular bed or zen ambiance.
The common areas are also very nice to relax and discuss.
Note: Of course, bathrooms are shared
Why stay in Bled Slovenia
Lake Bled is the most famous location in Slovenia. A magnificent lake with emerald water, a castle on a cliff, mountains and a charming island with a church.
Lake Bled is really stunning and close to the motorway giving you easy access to all other attractions in Slovenia.
You can read my guide about the things to do at Lake Bled.
Where I stayed
Name: Bled Apartments
Location: It was a 10 min walk to the lake shore. Close to the supermarket.
Type: Rental apartment in a complex
Review: The apartment was spacious and very clean, with parking. With the kitchen, we could make our own diner and the supermarket was just across the road.
Other suggestions for Bled Accommodations:
- CHARM AND CHARACTER - Old Bled House with a charming country decor, only a couple of minutes from the lake - Check out photos and Book
- LUXURY BY THE LAKE - Grand Hotel Toplice is located right on the lake, difficult to do better in terms of location! - Check out photos and Book
- BALCONIES WITH VIEWS - The Best western is very close to the lake shore and has many rooms with balconies overlooking the lake - Check out photos and Book
- LUXURY & QUIET - You can also avoid the Bled center and relax at the magnificent Vila Bled right on the lake but away from the crowds, west of Bled. Quite a romantic setting - Check out photos and Book
- LAKE BLED HOSTEL - Back Hostel is Not as central as the other options but it has fantastic reviews and hostel prices - Check out photos and Book
- ORIGINAL GLAMPING - further away from the lake but an quite an experience! It gets book very fast - Check out photos and Book
- The classic camping is on the other end of Lake Bled
Why stay in Bohinj Slovenia
If you want the beauty of the Lake Bled regions and get away from the crowds of Tourists, the nearby lake Bohinj is more peaceful and wilder.
If you want to travel around, it adds driving time but if you are looking for a quieter expeience, this is a great option.
You can check out my guide about Lake Bohinj Slovenia.
Where I stayed
Name: Apartments Kovačič
Location: 5min walk to the Lake shore (East end)
Type: Rental apartment is large house
Review: Our apartment had 1 bedroom and a sofa bed. It is not the most modern decor but it was clean, spacious and with an amazing view from the Balcony (as you can see on my photo).
Easy Parking on property
Other Suggestions to stay at Lake Bohinj
Right by the shore is Hotel Jezero.
It has the best location with views of the lake and/or mountains from the balconies and Modern rooms.
It also offers a nice swimming pools for the days when the lake is to cold for a swim.
Good choice at buffet-style breakfast.
- GOOD VALUE FOR LOCATION - Net to the hotels are the TD Bohinj Apartments that enjoy a fantastic location. No views but good value for price - Check out photos and book
- HOSTEL - In the middle of the South Shore is Hostel Pod Voglom (near a bus stop, and very close to the lake) - check out photos and book
- UKANC BOUTIQUE - Enjoy the comfort and elegance of Vila Park B&B in a beautiful garden, all you need to relax - check out photos and book
- UKANC BUDGET - rooms and apartment 750m from the Lake's west shore - check out photos and book
Why stay in Bovec Slovenia
Located in the West of Slovenia, close to the Border with Italy, Bovec is the adrenaline capital of the country.
This is an amazing place surrounded by mountains and with emerald color rivers.
Find out more about the things to do on my Soca Valley Guide.
Where I stayed
Name: Apartment Wallas
Location: It was a little bit outside of Bovec but with a fantastic view from the windows (too bad we did not have a balcony).
Type: Rental apartment in a house
Review: Apartment Wallas was beautifully decorated with lots of space and all the equipment you might need. Below is the picture I took from the window! (however no balcony)
Other Suggestions to stay near Bovec
- LUXURY - Ideally located, Hotel Dobra Vila Bovec offers countryside decor, large rooms and his home to an outstanding restaurant. People indicate that breakfast is 'to die for' - Check out photos and book
- CENTRAL HOTEL - Right in Bovec, the Garni hotel offers modern, well equipped room. It has a family suite and some rooms have mountain views - Check out photos and book
- CAMPING - want to get closer to nature, enjoy a camping stay with amazing views of the mountains - Check out photos and book
- BUDGET / HOSTEL - Thirsty river offer budget double rooms and dormitory only 15min walk from Bovec - Check out photos and book
Why stay in Piran Slovenia
Piran is one of the most charming towns in Slovenia. Located on the coast, it has a lot of history and almost no cars.
It is very touristic but spending the night here is like stepping back in history.
See my article on Piran and the Coast
Where I stayed
Name: Guesthouse PachaMama Pleasant Stay
Location: in the old town of Piran, near Tartini square
Type: Hotel /Guesthouse
Review: Fantastic location. Rooms are small but considering the old buildings in Piran, this must be a general problem/
Not a big fan of their 'healthy' breakfast but you are close to several cafés for alternatives.
Other suggestions to stay in Piran or Portoroz
However if you prefer a resort type stay with a sand beach, choose and accommodation at nearby Portoroz.
And for a fishing village vibe, head to Izola.
- SEA VIEW IN PIRAN - Hotel Piran with fantastic sea views right by Tartini square and with cosy rooms - Check out latest prices and book
- LUXURY in PORTOROZ - The Kempinski palace offers a 5 start stay by the beach - Check out latest prices and book
- GOOD VALUE IN PORTOROZ - Hotel Marko with great location in an old style vila - Check out latest prices and book
- HOSTEL IN PORTOROZ - Europe Hostel just one minute from the beach and by the bus stop - Check out latest prices and book
- IZOLA SEA VIEWS - Hotel Marina to appreciate the fishing port and marina - Check out latest prices and book
Brda Region Accommodations
Why stay in the Brda Region Slovenia
Wine tourism, rolling hills, charming old villages and no tourist crowds... discover the off the beaten path region of Brda Slovenia. A nice break to relax on your road trip.
Check out my guide with the things to do in Brda Slovenia
Where I stayed
I have found a little gem to stay in the region. It is called Valentina Guesthouse at Pintar Wine Estate
It is a small guesthouse with a couple of apartments. The owner is absolutely adorable and the views from the shared terrace and swimming pool are fantastic!
Why stay near Postojna
The amazing Postojna caves are one of the best attractions in Slovenia. You can take a train to go deep in the Earth and discover magnificent natural caves.
The first tour in the morning is usually quieter, so by staying nearby you can enjoy it!
Check out my guide about the Postojna caves Slovenia.
Where I stayed
Name: Postojna Cave Rooms & Apartments Proteus
Location: in the center of Postojna, under 5 min drive to the caves' carpark
Type: Apartment in a complex
Review: Nice little apartment in the center of the small town - great restaurant
Other suggestions to stay near the Postojna Caves
Logar Valley Accommodations
Why stay in the Logar Valley Slovenia
North of Slovenia, close to the border of Austria, the Logar valley is another jewel. The scenery is breathtaking and worth spending a night.
Learn more on my Logar Valley Guide.
Where I stayed
Name: Hotel Plesnik
Location: Inside the Logar Valley, where you have the best view of the mountain circus
Review: It is located where there is the best view of the valley.
I t has swimming pool.
I liked the decor of the rooms and the staff was nice.
The only annoying thing was the high quantity of lights and buttons to turn them on and off. I was always trying to find the right one LOL.
If you want a more personalized experience, check out the best rated guesthouses and farms around the Logar Valley.
Why stay in Ptuj Slovenia
Ptuj is the oldest town recorded in Slovenia. Located in the East of the country, it has a lot of charm with old houses, a river and a castle with great views.
To learn more, check out my guide of things to do in Ptuj.
Where I stayed
Name: Hotel Mitra
Location: Right in the center of the city
Type: Historical Hotel - First written records date back to 1777. At the end of the 18th century, it became the first coffeehouse in town. It was modified in a neo-baroque style at the end of the 19th century and became a hotel. After WWII it was the national officer's home and it turned back into a hotel in 1988.
Review: A lot of charm, great staff and perfect location. Loved the spa area, the inside terrace and the delicious breakfast
You can also check out the best rated accommodations in Ptuj
Why stay in Maribor Slovenia
Maribor is the second largest city in Slovenia, located in the East of the country.
It does not have the charm of Ljubljana, but it is still a great stop on a road trip around Slovenia with historical buildings, river walk and beautiful views.
To learn more, check out my guide with the things to do in Maribor Slovenia.
Where I stayed
Name: 4flats apartments
Location: Right in the center of the city by the cathedral
Type: Rental in a group of 4
Review: Loves the modern style and the great location. The kitchen was a bit small, but you are close to many good restaurants.
Other Suggestions to stay in Maribor
- LUXURY - Hotel City Maribor is in Downtown by the Drava River with very spacious rooms - Check out photos and latest prices
- MODERN - If you are looking for very modern design, consider Hotel Maribor - Check out photos and latest prices
- LOCATION - Hotel Lent offers great location for price and intriguing decor - Check out photos and latest prices
- BUDGET - The Guesthouse Anna is centrally located with clean rooms and a friendly team - Check out photos and latest prices
- or check out the best customer rated accommodations in Maribor
Krka Valley Accommodations
Why stay in the Krka Valley
If you want to get away from the tourist crowds, go off the beaten path. For example, the Krka Valley offer river, rolling hills and castles.
Famous stay in the region
Name: Ototec Castle
Location: On an island in the middle of the Krka River
Type: Castle transformed into hotel (Relais Chateaux)
Review: Amazing location, luxurious environment.
Where I stayed
Name: B&B Vila Ototec
Location: 5 min drive from the Ototec Castle
Review: great location on a hill, so it offers splendid views of the valley.
Rooms are large and clean but the decor is not very modern.
Why stay in Bistra
This was a great surprise. I had booked this stay, only to avoid too much driving in one day. And we had a huge surprise.
The accommodation has a lot of charm and the nearby technical museum in the Bistra castle was absolutely fantastic!!!!
Where I stayed
Name: Guesthouse Bistra
Location: in Bistra, by the Castle
Review: Nice comfy room, beautiful house, great restaurant. Just across from the Technical museums inside the castle.
Want to see more of SLOVENIA?
Have you found where to stay in Slovenia ?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: