Nor far from Wadi Shab, Wadi Tiwi Oman offers another variant of those deep gorges cut in the mountains and running to the sea. Accessible by car during your Oman road trip, it offers pools of emerald waters, old villages and lush plantations. Discover the drive with a video and photos.
Driving in Wadi Tiwi video
Let's start with a short video with driving sequences all along Wadi Tiwi Oman. This will give you a feel for the place to see if you want to include it when planning your Oman road trip:
INFO & PLANNING TIPS - Wadi Tiwi
The fertile Wadi Tiwi spreads over 36 km. Villages have settled with lush plantations and a road has been built all the way to Mibam. Like Wadi Shab the cliffs are straight and impressive, but this was remains wider so making has taken over.
How to get to Wadi Tiwi Location
- Starts in Tiwi, 2 km from Wadi Shab
- North of Tiwi, clearly indicated
- 2h drive from Muscat
GPS coordinates, easy-to-plan maps and practical info in the eBook: Experience Oman
- 8 exclusive maps simplified localising the best places to visit
- 90+ places to see including 39 primary amazing locations with double page features
- GPS coordinates of all locations to facilitate navigation
- 100+ photos to help you decide where you want to stop
Visiting Wadi Tiwi Oman
- You can drive all the way in the wadi
- However the road is sometimes narrow and bumpy and locals prefer that you do not (according to my guide). You can instead hike on the road giving you plenty of time to admire the views
- If you want to swim, cover yourself. Contrary to Wadi Shab, locals live bearby the pools and you should behave with respect
Driving in Wadi Tiwi in Photos
The road first runs along plantation and pools full of boulders. After the village of Hara Bidah , the road narrows and the walls of the houses get really close to the car!
The road then continues as a rougher track whcih at some point climbs steeply. it takes you all the way to the Mibam.
The River Bed of Wadi Tiwi Oman
The drive by the river bed was very nice. A you can see the cliffs are steep and the wadi a lot greener than Wadi Shab. This is why locals have set up villages and are cultivating dates and bananas.
The river bed captures huge boulders rolling from the mountains.
The colors of the waters kept changing with shades of green and blue.
As we drove back I knew I wanted to capture this spot from the 'bridge' as it was going to be on my side of the car. I was ready for it but did not expect the woman.
Village at the entrance of Wadi Tiwi Oman
The first village in the oasis is as many viallges in Oman, white or ocre houses with flat roofs.
Mibam: Village deep in the gorge
We did not drive all the way to Mibam. We stopped when we got nice views and turn around. As you can see the plantations continue in the valley.
Want to see more of Oman's beauty?
Discover more things to do and places to see in Oman in my online Oman Destination Guide.
Incredible colors, don't you think?
You might also be interested in:
Love sharing? Here is another pin for you: