If you are looking for an easy walk in the Glencoe area, I recommend the Glencoe Lochan Walking Trail.
This easy path takes you around a little lake, under the trees and protected by the surrounding mountains.
And you may be lucky and get amazing reflections!
Below is my guide to help you plan your walk.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit Glencoe Lochan in Scotland?
Most people only drive through the valley of Glencoe. And it is already a wonderful experience (see my pictures and best stops).
A lot of the hikes are steep or long, but there is one simple walk that is very accessible that you can enjoy: Glencoe Lochan.
It is a simple loop around a small loch surrounded by the summits.
Below is a short video to give you a feel for the walk.
Further down you will find directions, distances, info and photos to plan your visit.
The Glencoe forest - why are there trees here?
You may have noticed that the landscapes of the Glencoe valley are very bare.
So why are there trees in this area?
This wood was started in the 19th century by Lord Strathcona to remind his wife of her homeland: Canada.
More photos after the planning tips.
Planning tips - Glencoe Lochan Trails Map & more
How to get to Glencoe Lochan Scotland
- Not far from the town of Glencoe is a little lake called Glencoe Lochan.
- The Town of Glencoe is a 2h50min drive from Edinburgh and a 2h drive from Glasgow
- From the town, take the main road towards the forest, turn left after the bridge and then right until you reach the carpark. There are a few signs indicating Glencoe Lochan Forest Walks
The GPS coordinates and locations on a practical map are available on both Travel Guide eBooks. They help you easily plan your Scotland road trip:
Plan your dream trip around Scotland!
Glencoe Lochan Trails Map
The area offers 3 walks in the forest.
- The main one is around the little lake called Glencoe Lochan. It does not have the grand views and bare landscape of the drive through Glen Coe or the many harder hikes available in the area. But after a day's driving, it is a pleasant and serene walk. It goes around the lake and loops back to the carpark.
- The 2 others go inside the Glencoe forest - views depend on the density of the forest
- No facilities at the car park
- Trails are clearly marked
- The tour of Lochan is an easy walk accessible to wheelchairs. It takes 5 to 10 min to reach the lake on a gentle slope and 45 to do the whole loop with many photo stops.
Can you swim at Glencoe Lochan? Can you Fish?
Glencoe Lochan is regularly stocked with trouts but you need a permit to fish there (to get locally). For more options head down to Loch Leven for sea fishing!
However it is not a swimming area.
Need to rent a car in Scotland?
- Compare prices on my favorite platform: Discovercars.com - one of the best rated comparison sites!
- Choose the car and company you prefer (prefer a compact car for the single-lane roads)
- Consider their full coverage option - I always take it for peace of mind!
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
Glencoe Lochan Walk - Difficulty
After reading around the Internet, I decided not to do the mountain trail as most people explained that because of the trees the views were really limited.
There is absolutely no way to get lost... Path is well maintained and indicated with wooden poles with colors.
Arriving at the little Glencoe lake
As I arrived at the lake towards the end of the afternoon, I was lucky to be treated with amazing reflections. The lake is surrounded by trees and above you can see some of the mountains peeking through the clouds. Which is why it is included in my list of amazing pictures of Scotland.
Walking around Glencoe Lochan
The path goes under the trees as you discover the shore of the lake. Other peaks appear above the trees. The place is really peaceful.
If I am not mistaken, the pointy summit below is the Pap of Glencoe, culminating at 741 meters.
And when reaching the other end:
An environment that brings serenity
Every angle of the lake has interesting features. Ducks started following us for quite some time to make sure we were not approaching the babies (which we were not... but the ducks did not trust us... or maybe they don't speak English or French)
Where to stay near Glencoe Lochan
You can stay in Glencoe Village or Kinlochleven with amazing views of Loch Leven and the mountains.
Below are some suggestions if you want to stay in Glencoe:
Where to stay in Scotland?
- Edinburgh to explore the fascinating city - see best rated accommodations
- Portree central to explore the isle of Skye - see best rated accommodations
- Glencoe to take the time in the magnificent valley - see best rated accommodations
- Ullapool for the West coast on the North 500 - see best rated accommodations
- Thurso for the North coast and ferry to the Orkneys - see best rated accommodations
- Kirkwall to explore the Orkneys - see best rated accommodations
- Inverness for the famous Speyside whiskies - see best rated accommodations
Find more inspiration in my article about where to stay in Scotland
Other highlights of the Glencoe area to discover:
Planning a trip to Scotland?
Check out my travel guide to help you plan:
Plan your dream trip around Scotland!
And keep track of your own trip!
Want to see more of SCOTLAND?
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!