The waterfall of Urridafoss, Iceland, is often overlooked as people rush to reach the more famous Seljalandsfoss and Skogafoss.
And yet, this is the waterfall with the highest volume in Iceland!
It is very difficult to photograph, but great to experience with the surround sound it creates.
Below is my guide to plan your visit with map, tips and photos.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit the Urridafoss waterfall in Iceland?
At Urridafoss, the river Thjorsa, which is the longest in Iceland, with 230 km, falls over 6 meters in height.
So clearly, it is not the most impressive waterfall in Iceland in terms of size...
However, it is one of the most voluminous waterfall in Iceland:
It flows with a quantity is 360m3 in a second!!!
And its power is more than 100MW.
Plus, here you won't see any crowds.
Discover more waterfalls, on my list of 21 waterfalls in Iceland which includes a video!
Its name means waterfall of salmon.
It is a popular river in Summer for salmon fishing as they make their way upstream.
More photos after the planning tips.
Planning tips and Map - Urridafoss Iceland
Where is Urridafoss located? Map
- Between Reykjavik and the South Coast
- Urridafoss can be reach on road 33 (Urridafossvegur) just a few minutes South of Road 1 between the towns of Sellfoss and Hella.
- The road gets to the Pjorsa estuary
- If you are driving towards the East and pass the bridge over the Thjorsa river, then you went too far
- Below is a map to help you get oriented:
This location is included (with GPS coordinates, map of region and planning info) in my travel guide eBook that helps you easily plan your Iceland road trip:
Plan your dream road trip in Iceland
How to get to Urridafoss
- You need your own car to visit this location
- No tours
- The crossroad well indicated.
- The access road is in good condition - and it is a very short drive!
Need to rent a car in Iceland?
- Option 1 - Local experts - Iceland has a lot of specificities and offerings by local companies are adapted - compare cars and prices of quality local brands on GuidetoIceland.com
- Option 2 - International Brands - compare offers on Discovercars.com - one of the best customer-rated comparison sites!
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
- If you plan on driving on F-roads in the Central Highlands, a good 4WD is mandatory
- The carpark is a very short drive from Road 1
- The waterfall is very close to the parking
- There is a nice path to see Urridafoss from different angles
- There are also benches and picnic tables
- No other facilities - no bathroom
- Only 1 side is accessible
- The closed town is Selfoss - see best rated accommodations
Where to stay in Iceland?
- Reykjavik - capital city - see best rated accommodations
- Selfoss - between Golden Circle and South Coast - see best rated accommodations
- Vik - near waterfalls and glaciers - see best rated accommodations
- Höfn - gateway to the East fjords - see best rated accommodations
- Egilsstadir - between fjords and North Iceland - see best rated accommodations
- Reykjahlid - for the wonders of Lake Myvatn - see best rated accommodations
- Akureyri - capital of the North - see best rated accommodations
- Grundarfjordur - to explore the Snaefellsnes Peninsula - see best rated accommodations
Waterfall of Urridafoss in Pictures
Below are a few shots of Urridafoss from the side and from the platform, which gives you a more direct view.
As you see, it is very wide, and I was not able to photograph it properly.
I was not able either to convey the volume of water that goes through it.
They are more rapids than a waterfall...
The River is rather large.
The color of the water can be a lot bluer than on my pictures as the water flows from the Hofsjökli, Vatnajökull and Tungnafellsjökull glaciers.
Sometimes, you can spot a small rainbow over the rapids!
I recommend you just sit down and listen to the power of the water.
Yes, it is not as spectacular as other waterfall but it is such a peaceful place!
Urridafoss in Winter
In the Winter, the waterfall can freeze and the depth of the ice can reach up to 20 meter.
And in the Spring, the river breaks free from the ice barriers and icebergs fall into the river. People recommend seeing this event from the canyons of Thjorsa South of Urridafoss.
Want to see more of the best Iceland has to offer?
- Tips to plan your Iceland road trip - read article
- Tips to rent a car and drive around Iceland - read article
- Itinerary suggestions - read article
- 45 Most beautiful landscapes in Iceland in pictures - read article
- The best stops on the Ring Road - read article
- The best locations off the beaten path around Iceland - read article
- 21 Most beautiful waterfalls in Iceland - read article
- Top 5 places to see around Myvatn - read article
- 5 best Lava Fields in Iceland - read article
- The 5 most beautiful black sand beaches in Iceland - read article
Planning a trip to Iceland?
Check out my travel guide to help you plan:
Plan your dream road trip in Iceland
And keep track of your own trip!
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!