Located in Sintra-Cascais National Park, Praia do Magoito is one of the most impressive Portugal beaches.
The dark cliff of Magoito beach is well completed by the rocks, the waves and the solidified sand dune.
A pleasure for those in love with wild landscapes, beaches and geology.
Below is my guide to help you plan your visit with map, tips and photos.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit Magoito Beach in Portugal?
Magoito is a magnificent beach with wonderful features and contrasts:
- the golden sand contrasts
- the tall dark cliffs sculpted by the sea
- the waves,
- the fossil dune...
It is one of the most impressive beaches in Portugal (see my list).
Plus, it offers easy access to a viewpoint from above!
A picture is better than words...
Before we continue with photos from the beach itself, here is a short video to see the beach come alive with the waves:
More photos after the planning tips.
Planning tips + Map - Praia do Magoito, Portugal (Sintra-Cascais)
Where is Praia do Magoito in Portugal? Map and location
- West coast
- In the Sintra Cascais National Park, North West of Lisbon
- Near the town of Magoito
- Lisbon to Magoito = 1 h drive (40km)
- Sintra to Magoito = 20min drive
- Below is a map to help you get oriented:
This location with its GPS coordinates and planning info is included in my eBooks to help you easily plan your itinerary around Portugal:
How to get to Magoito beach
- You need a car to easily access this beach
- Tours normally don't go there
- Easy drive to a medium-sized carpark
Need to rent a car in Portugal?
- Compare car rental prices on Discovercars.com - one of the best customer-rated comparison sites!
- Choose the car and company you prefer
- Consider their full coverage option - I always take it for peace of mind!
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
- See all my 36 tips in my Portugal car rental article.
- Facilities and restaurants
- Easy access via ramp
- Carpark gets full quickly in Summer - arrive early!
- Good for surf and bodyboarding
- Paradise for photographers
Where to stay near Magoito beach?
Where to stay in Portugal?
- In Lisbon, to explore the vibrant city - see best rated accommodations
- In Sintra, to visit as many palaces as possible - see best rated accommodations
- In Porto, to feel the history - see best rated accommodations
- In Obidos, to walk on the medieval walls at sunset - see best rated accommodations
- In the Douro valley, if you love wine - see best rated accommodations
- In the Algarve, my favorite town is Lagos - see best rated accommodations
- In the Algarve, Portimao is practical to visit all the best beaches - see best rated accommodations
Find more inspiration in my article about where to stay in Portugal
The beach of Magoito - viewpoint
The carpark of Magoito Beach is located on top of the cliffs. This is why you can get splendid views of the long stretch of sand from above.
This is the best place to admire the impressive dark wall straight up from the beach. It presents a succession of horizontal layers, showing the formation over millions of years.
It is facing the Atlantic Ocean. This cliff leads the eye all the way to Cabo da Roca.
Beach access and solidified sand dune (fossil dune)
Plus, the access (at the North end of the beach), goes down along a geological particularity. At that location, the sand dune has solidified. It is also called a 'consolidated sand dune'.
This is quite fascinating to see:
The sand dune was formed by the accumulation of sand from the action of the sea and wind. According to the Portuguese Wikipedia Page, it is evaluated that it formed 10,000 years ago.
According to New World encyclopedia, it is called Lithified dunes. It is created when it becomes compacted and hardened.
Walking and swimming at Praia do Magoito - pictures
Once on the golden sand, the beach remains as impressive.
For those wanting to swim, it is a mix of sand and stones to reach the water depending on the tide. Ocean water can be cold.
Because of the rocks, small pools form at lower tide which are great for the kids.
It is considered one of the European beaches with the highest iodine concentration.
Cliffs of Magoito & Cabo da Roca
To the North of Praia do Magoito you can continue walking on the cliffs and admire the waves crashing under you.
As you can see with the photo below and the zoom after that, the view stretches all the way to Cabo da Roca, the most Western point of Mainland Europe.
You can see its lighthouse, if you look in the detail at the back of the picture below.
Want to see more of the best Portugal has to offer?
- 30 Most beautiful landscapes in Portugal - read article
- Best things to do in Portugal - read article
- The best beaches in Portugal - read article
- The best villages in Portugal - read article
- Lisbon vs Porto - where to go? - read article
- Driving in Portugal - read article
- The best of the Algarve region - read article
- The highlights of Sintra and the Sintra-Cascais Nature park - read article
Planning a trip to Portugal?
Check out my travel guide to help you plan:
Plan your ideal road trip around Portugal
And keep track of your own trip!
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!