Praia do Camilo is one of the best Beaches in Lagos, Portugal.
Located between Praia Dona Ana and Ponta Da Piedade, the small Camilo Beach offers stunning cliffs and rock formations.
Below is my guide to help you plan your visit.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit Camilo Beach, Algarve? Video
Camilo is one of the most beautiful beaches in Algarve and in Portugal.
It is a small but impressive cove with:
- Steep giant cliff walls in the shape of waves carved by the sea
- Sea stacks
Praia Do Camilo in Video
Have a look at this short video to get an idea of what your visit could look like:
More photos and details after the planning tips.
INFO & PLANNING TIPS - Praia do Camilo, Lagos, Portugal
How to get to Praia do Camilo, Algarve
- On the West Algarve coast in Portugal
- In the town of Lagos, between the magnificent Praia Dona Ana and Ponta Da Piedade
- Clearly indicated from the main road to the beaches from the city center
- Lagos center to Camilo beach = 30min walk / 5 min drive
- Check out where Lagos is located on this Algarve coast map:
This location with its GPS coordinates and planning info is included in my eBooks to help you plan your Portugal road trip itinerary:
Visiting Camilo Beach
- 225 steps on a wooden staircase to access the beach
- Praia do Camilo facilities: Restaurant and toilets at the top of the stairs only (not at sea level)
- Better at low tide, otherwise there is not much sand
- Don't come too late, there is no light when the sun is too low
- Actually, I recommend visiting early as the beach is small and can get crowded
- Being close to Lagos and quite small, it can get really busy in Summer (however the 225 steps discourage many...)
- The area is great for boat tours and kayaking with the cliffs, the rock formations and caves - Check out the water tour options
Accommodations in Lagos near Praia do Camilo
In Lagos you can either stay in the city center where all the restaurants and night activities are, or you can stay near the amazing beaches of Camilo and Praia Dona Ana.
I stayed near the beaches, just 10 min walk from the beaches in the beautiful Uma Casa a Beira Sol apartments/hotel. My parents and I loved the place with the beautiful garden and the amazing breakfast. Check out availability and photos
For other choices, you can check this link to the best rated accommodations in Lagos, Portugal on Booking.com
View from top of the cliffs
Praia Do Camilo is located in the coastline tips, South of the town of Lagos, Portugal. At this area, you can find some of the most beautiful beaches in the Algarve and in Portugal. The most famous is Praia Dona Ana because it has a lot of sand. But I think Praia Do Camilo is way more scenic and best for photographers.
From the carpark, you can first easily walk on the cliffs to admire the views below you: impressive erosion work and sea stacks.
In the 2 photos below, in the foreground you have Camilo beach, and, in the background, you can see Praia Dona Ana.
The West side of Camilo beach, gives an idea of the beautiful coastline which will come if you head West to the magnificent promontory of Ponta Da Piedade.
Access to the beach of Camilo
But to see this scenic beach, you need to make an effort. At this location, the cliffs are quite high. And you will have to get down 225 steps to reach the sand!!! It is hard on the knees... and worst, you know you will have to climb them to go back up!
However, I think it is absolutely worth it at low tide.
Don't forget anything in the car and use the toilets before starting the descent.
At least as you walk down, the views are splendid and you get you more and more excited at reaching the beach.
The arch & tunnel
One of the first features you will notice is a small arch. This is the feature that often allows you to recognize Camilo beach.
You can walk under it.
I found it very attractive and took many pictures from various angles!
On the picture below, to the left of the arch you can see the entrance to a tunnel that allows you access to the next cove to see even more rock formations.
More rock formations with Camilo beach Photos
And now let's have a look at some pictures of Praia Do Camilo. I think it is best visited at low tide to explore the coves and have the foreground of rock formations.
The sand is golden and the cliffs yellow/orange. And the water is particularly clear.
Want to see more of PORTUGAL?
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: