Everybody who visits the Isle of Skye has kind of seen the magnificent Loch Ainort, but not really paid attention to it as it is not on any of the list of things to do in Skye. Today I am correcting this mistake and showing you why you should stop by its shore around the town of Luib.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Landscapes of Loch Ainort, Isle of Skye - Video
You cannot miss Loch Ainort. The main road (and only road) going from the Skye Bridge to Portree goes around it. It is a magnificent place surrounded by the Red Cuillin Mountains. Yet not many people stop to admire the place and even less talk about it.
Let's start with a short video of driving around Loch Ainort:
Many photos of Loch Ainort after the planning tips.
And you can also check out my 40 favorite pictures of Scotland.
Planning Tips - Loch Ainort Skye
Getting to Loch Ainort
- Along Road A87
- Midway between the Bridge and Portree
- The town of Luib is on the South shore of Loch Ainort
- Portree to Luib = 30min drive
- Eilean Donan to Luib = 35min drive
- Skye Bridge to Luib = 25min drive
The GPS coordinates and location on a practical map are available on both my Travel Guide eBooks that facilitate the planning of your Scotland road trip:
Visiting Loch Ainort
Accommodations in Luib
The town is Luib where there are a few accommodations if you want to enjoy the quiet of Loch Ainort at sunset and sunrise - Check out accommodation options
Need to rent a car in Scotland?
- Compare prices on my favorite platform: Discovercars.com - one of the best rated comparison sites!
- Choose the car and company you prefer (prefer a compact car for the single-lane roads)
- Consider their full coverage option - I always take it for peace of mind!
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
Loch Ainort before Luib
When driving up to Portree you first follow along the coast with views of the Isle of Scalpay. But a turn inland will display the Red Cuillin towering above Loch Ainort.
This is a seawater loch more in length that in width which makes it more appealing.
The village of Luib, Isle of Skye
Luib is the town on the South shore of Loch Ainort. It is very small, but a great place to stay if you want to get away from the biggest towns but remain in a practical location.
Booking has one accommodation in Luib and Airbnb has 5.
Head of the loch
After Luib, the rest of the drive is even more impressive, as you get to discover the details in the mountains, and you drive right next to the water.
I could not take my eyes off those hills with the changes in colors and all the lines flowing down. I find them mesmerizing. And the intense blue of Loch Ainort adds to the intensity of the place.
End of Loch Ainort Scotland
At the end of Loch Ainort there is a small waterfall. From there you drive inland between the hills towards Loch Sligochan.
Clamaig - On the way to Sligachan
As the roads leaves Loch Ainort, the hills of the red Cuillins surrounding Clamaig remain mesmerizing all the way to Loch Sligachan. (Sligachan is where you start the walk through the Cuillin mountains to Elgol and Loch Coruisk)
I love cone-shaped mountains such as Buachaille Etive Mor. Clamaig is one of those.
Want to see more? Here are other amazing things to do on the Isle of Skye:
- The Old Man of Storr icon - read article
- Kilt Rock and Mealt Falls - read article
- The Quiraing viewpoint - read article
- The Magical Fairy Glen - read article
- The sparkling Fairy Pools hike - read article
- The Elgol Boat tour to Loch Coruisk - read article
- Or enjoy my complete article about the best things to do on the Isle of Skye
And keep track of your own trip!
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!