With colorful cliffs and golden sand, Praia da Falesia, in the Algarve is one of the most beautiful beaches in Portugal.
And the best part is that there is a viewpoint to be able to see the entire Falesia Beach from higher ground.
Below is my guide to help you plan your visit with map, tips and photos.
In this article, no ads, no sponsored posts. Just some affiliate links.
If you purchase through them, I get a commission at no extra cost to you (Disclosure).
Why visit Praia da Falesia in the Algarve?
Praia da Falesia is definitively one of my favorite beaches in Portugal (see my list).
It is not the best one to just lie on the beach, but it is so impressive:
- It is a 6km long sandy beach
- It is at the foot of tall cliffs with intense white and orange colors
- At the top of the cliffs are vibrant green pine trees
The shapes and colors are incredible. Just have a look:
Top things to do in Falesia
- Enjoy the view from Miradouro da Falesia
- Get down to the beach and walk its length
- Hike the top of the cliffs through the pine trees
- Enjoy watersports: surfing, snorkeling...
- Watch the colors get even deeper around sunset
Below is a short video to discover the beauty of Falesia Beach.
And you will understand why this is a must stop on your itinerary!
The name Praia da Falesia is normally used to refer to the entire area.
However, you can find other names such as:
- Praia da Rocha Baixinha,
- Praia dos Tomates,
- Praia do Poço Velho,
- Praia das Açoteias,
More photos and details after the planning tips.
Planning tips & Map - Falesia Beach, Portugal
Where is Falesia Beach? Map and Location
- Located in the Algarve region - see my article guide
- Middle of the South coast
- Albufeira to Falesia beach = 20min drive
- Portimao to Falesia beach = 45min drive
- Faro to Falesia beach = 40min drive
- Below is a map to help you get oriented:
This location with its GPS coordinates and planning info is included in the eBooks to help you easily plan your road trip:
How to get to Falesia beach?
- The easiest option is by car
- The drive is easy with wide paved roads
- There are several carparks at different points along the beach
- Otherwise you can take Bus Line 8 from Albufeira
- Cab also do the transfer from Albufeira (15min drive)
Need to rent a car in Portugal?
or directly see the best deals on my favorite platform
Careful with the tide
- Don't forget, this is the ocean, there are tides
- If you are leaving your stuff on the beach or going for a walk, check the tide schedule
- At high tide, water can reach the bottom of the cliffs - I have seen many people get their belongings wet!
Best time to visit
- At low tide
- Early morning or late afternoon will be best because it will be less crowded and the light will highlight the colors of the cliffs - especially at sunrise and sunset
- West Access and viewpoint in the town Olhos de Água - restaurant by the beach
- Central Access - Café at the top of the stairs
- East access - no cliff but more sand, just west of Villamoura
- Toilets, showers and lifeguards during high season
- 70 Steps to reach the beach at the central access
- Very busy in Summer and weekends. Nearby carparks might be full.
- The activities and watersports are mostly run at the east end of the beach: snorkeling, jet-skiing, surfing, paragliding...
Falesia beach restaurants
There are many restaurants in the area.
Most of them are at the top of the cliffs.
Right on the beach, you can find 2 towards the West:
- Maré at Pine cliffs
- Restaurante Praia dos Tomates
And a few more at the Villamoura East end of the beach:
- Restaurante Rocha Baixinha
- NoSoloÁgua Vilamoura
- My.Al.Mar - Tapas by the Sea
- Gomes na Praia
But if you walk a little away from the beach, you can find many more...
Where to stay near Falesia beach
- There are many hotels, resorts and rentals near Praia da Falesia Algarve
- At the West end of the beach, near the tallest cliffs, is Ohlos de Agua
- and at the East end is the town Villamoura, a little inland
- a nice rental apartment, not far from the beach Apartamentos Monte da Vinha I - check out photos and availability
- a 4 star hotel, adults only: Falesia Hotel - check out photos and availability
- a 5 star resort: Pine Cliffs Gardens - check out photos and availability
- a villa in Villamoura: the Magellan House - check out photos and availability
- Or check out the best rated options around Ohlos
Looking for the best place to stay in the Algarve?
Central access to Falesia Beach
As you arrive at the carpark (of the central access) you can already walk a bit over the cliffs and see the colorful features under you. This looks promising!
Falesia has several accesses to different parts of the long beach.
I find that the central part is the place where the cliffs are the most beautiful.
Like with many beaches in the Algarve, there is a staircase to allow easy access to the sand.
In this case, there are roughly 70 steps with platforms and benches.
Walking on the beach
Walking along Praia da Falesia is amazing. Just be careful at high tide, as the water can sometimes rise all the way up to the foot of the cliff.
Look at those colors! You can walk for 6 km along such beautiful cliffs.
Geology - why are the Falesia cliffs so colorful?
It is great to see the different layers set up by nature.
Some layers are sand, and other are rocks and pebbles.
- white sandstone
- yellowish limestone
- red argillaceous sandstone
The red parts are from an old alluvium (when clay, silt, sand and gravel are deposited by running water).
This area is made of the Ludo Formation of the Algarve Basin. The thickness varies up to 70m.
The sediments vary in color between white, yellow, orange, and pink. They were generally from a fluvial environment, layered with marine environment.
More details on this page, with schematics - but in Portuguese.
Miradouro da Falesia (viewpoint)
But the best is to see Praia Da Falesia from above to really capture the entire cliff and see all the colors;
To access the Falesia Beach viewpoint, nothing is indicated. Access is near the Porto Bay Falesia Hotel in Olhos de Água.
A small path without any signs will lead you to one of the best views in the Algarve.
And here you are: this is the view.
Need to rent a car in the Algarve?
or directly see the best deals on my favorite platform
Falesia hike at the top of the cliffs
You can walk at water level and enjoy the 6km stretch of sand.
Or you can opt for a quieter experience, by hiking along the top of the cliffs.
It offers beautiful views of the rock formations and beach.
However, be careful:
- Do not get close to the edge, and certainly do not set up your blanket and stuff there, like I have seen other people do. This is not the most stable type of rocks. Danger signs are everywhere.
- Be very careful after rain, it is slippery
Want to see more of the Algarve and Portugal?
- 30 Most beautiful landscapes in Portugal - read article
- Best things to do in Portugal - read article
- The best beaches in Portugal - read article
- The best things to do in the Algarve region - read article
- Benagil cave and Algarve boat tours - read article
- The magnificent Ponta da Piedade - read article
- The famous Marinha beach - read article
- The unique Tres Irmaos beach - read article
Planning a trip to Portugal?
Check out my travel guide to help you plan:
Plan your ideal road trip around Portugal
And keep track of your own trip!
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!