Visiting Portugal? I think a Boat Trip to the Algarve Caves including the amazing Benagil Sea Cave is a Must-Do. This is the best way to really discover the intricate South coastline of Portugal. Discover in photos and video what you could see during the Boat Trips Algarve.
Navigate back to the complete Travel Portugal Guide
This section contains affiliate Links (more info on the Disclosure page).
Boat Trips Algarve Caves Video
Let's start with a 2min video, showing you what to expect on a 1 hour Boat Trip around the Algarve caves including the famous Benagil Sea Cave, which, as you will see, was the hardest one to film...
Algarve coast & Benagil Cave - How to get there
The easiest way to see those amazing caves is to take a boat tour. Here are some options - Photos continue below
Boat Tours including Benagil
- From Portimao, tours along the coast to Benagil sea cave and other algarve caves - Check out boat, program and price
- From Albufeira, tours along the coast but not entering Benagil - Check out boat, program and price
- Drive to Benagil beach and enjoy a 1h boat tour to the algarve caves and cliffs - book at the beach
Boat Tours to other caves and coast
- Near Tavira for the islands and the lagoons
- Near Faro, boat tours to the Ria Formosa reserve and its bird life
- From Lagos for the Western Algarve Sea Caves under Ponta da Piedade - you can explore them by Kayak
I wanted to see the Benagil sea caves and reduce the amount of time on the water (because my dad and I can be seasick), so I opted for one of the tour companies departing from Benagil Beach (see review at the end).
Benagil beach is not very interesting, but you can see how busy it gets with all the boats coming from around.
Benagil Sea Cave Algarve by Boat
Benagil sea cave location - the photo below has been taken from the Benagil Beach at mid-tide. Where the boat is is the left entrance to the Benagil sea cave, one of the most famous places in Portugal.
We are queuing to enter the famous cave...
Mid-tide is the better time to enter by boat, as you can get deep enough in the cave. However, there are big waves, so it is not so easy to take pictures.
On the next shot, you can see 2 persons standing in the beach of the cave - see further below about the Benagil cave swim.
The dome is very impressive with the different colors of rings and the hole with the blue spot at the top.
The 2 photos below from the right entrance of the Benagil sea cave - again big waves and big boulders.... not that easy to photograph
Access to Benagil Cave Algarve
1. first option: boat - the rest of my amazing Boat Trip Algarve continues after with many more photos
2. Second option: Benagil cave by kayak if the sea is quiet enough
3. Benagil cave swim: If you want to admire it better, it is possible to swim from the Benagil Beach to the cave. However I don't recommend it. But if you are considering it, read this:
- You have to be a strong swimmer. The owner of the boat company I used explained to me that few people drowned
- Go only when waters are calm and at low tide
- Be careful with all the boats coming in and out
- Don't swim too close to the cliffs as a wave can push you against it
- if the boats stop operating because of rough sea, do NOT go, read about the couple who was stranded there for 12h
- You can have a look at Christoph Papenfuss' experience and photos of the Algar de Benagil
Here is a view from the inside:
Other large Caves in Algarve Portugal
During our Algarve cave tours, we also visited 2 other large caves.
The cave that I call The Tunnel had 2 large entrances, one at each side. It was the most accessible one and looked more like a tunnel. I believe the name is Lanchão do Ladrão but I am really not sure. I can't find sources to confirm.
It had a lot of light:
Paradise Cave Algarve
When I discussed with the owner of the boat company before my tour, he told me his favorite cave in Algarve Portugal was the one he called 'Paradise cave' under the Alfanzina lighthouse.
You can see the entrance in the pictures below. With mid tide, the entrance was not very big, and the pilot had to enter at the right moment considering the waves. Plus, getting out was also exhilarating.
It is a very difficult cave to photograph as it is all in height. You can see it a bit better in the video. But I think I prefer the Benagil Sea Cave.
Coastline and other Algarve Caves
As you can see below on the coastline pictures, there are many many sea caves in Algarve Portugal. It is quite impressive to discover it from the sea. I strongly recommend doing one of the Algarve caves tours by boat to discover the unique coastline!
Our pilot also took us inside smaller caves. Sometimes you can't even turn around, you have to reverse. Below are a few examples. The Boat trips Algarve from Benagil Beach normally take you around to around 20 caves.
Marinha Beach from Boat Trips in Algarve
It is famous for its double arch: the “Arcos de Marinha” and other sea stacks:
And the nearby cove (Buraco Beach) at the East Tip of Marinha Beach:
INFO & PLANNING TIPS - Boat Trips Algarve Caves
Want to see more of PORTUGAL?
Discover more things to do & places to see in my Travel Portugal Destination Guide.
Don't you find the Algarve amazing?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:
Love sharing? Here is another pin for you: