A GUIDE TO MAKE THE BEST OF YOUR TIME IN SOUTH WEST ICELAND!
Within hours drive from Reykjavik, Southwest Iceland has many places to offer: waterfalls, geysers, hot baths, canyons caves… all possible as day tours from Reykjavik. Below is a guide where you will find maps with the places to see, a list of the highlights not to be missed, and some extra pictures just because it is so beautiful!
Before all my photos + tips, here are my favorites to plan your Summer Iceland trip:
My favorite places to stay around Iceland:
- Reykjavik, the capital, of course: Reykjavik Konsulat Hotel
- Vik to explore the South Coast: Hotel Vik i Myrdal
- Lake Myvatn, in the north: Hotel Laxa
- Borgarnes, between Snaefellsnes and Silver Circle: Hotel Hamar
My favorite activity around Iceland (Summer): Whale watching from Husavik (best) or Reykjavik or Akureyri
// In this article, no ads, no sponsored posts. Just some affiliate links.
If you purchase through them, I get a commission at no extra cost to you (Disclosure).
Video - Southwest Iceland
Here is a short video (less than 5 minutes) with the beautiful landscapes of South West Iceland including waterfalls, geothermal areas, geysers and canyons. I am sorry I shake a lot when I film; I hope you will still enjoy it and it will give you an idea of what you can expect.
South West Iceland Map and locations
Below is a map to give you a general idea of the region around Reykjavik:
The complete map is available in my eBook to help you plan your Iceland road trip:
Plan your dream road trip in Iceland
- 8 maps to plan your itinerary easily
- 100+ pre-selected locations
- Tips to make the most of your time
- 130+ original photos to get inspired
- GPS coordinates for easy navigation
Highlights of Iceland's Southwest region - The Golden Circle
One of the highlights of the region is the Golden Circle.
A detailed guide is available on the Golden Circle Iceland article.
The main attractions are:
Thingvellir National Park
Thingvellir is a UNESCO Heritage site of historical, cultural, and geological importance with mountains, lake, waterfall & fault lines
Geysir - Haukadalur
Haukadalur geothermal area is part of the Golden Circle. It is home to several geysers, mud pools and fumeroles
Gullfoss is and iconic waterfall on the Hvítá river with several steps and a very impressive drop
Need to rent a car in Iceland?
directly see the best deals on my favorite platform
Other attractions in South West Iceland
Below is the list of the top things to do and places to see in Southwest Iceland. Click to discover full articles with photos and planning information.
Most famous place in Iceland where you can bathe in sulphuric hot water. Relaxing and supposedely good for your health
Reykjavik is the capital of Iceland. Near the water you find the Sun Voyager sculpture which shines many colors at sunrise
Urridafoss (the warterfall of Salmon) is a less touristic 6 meter high waterfall on the river Thjorsa
Hraunfoss is made of a collection of gentle cascades emerging from between the lava rocks covered with moss
I don't drink coffee
But I like other drinks and foods!
Do you enjoy the free content you find on my blog? All my tips and practical information, without intrusive advertising...
On the roads of Southwestern Iceland
There is quite a lot of farming in South West Iceland. Sometimes it is flat and boring (but not often). Other times I like the contrast with the cliffs.
Keifarvatn is a lake located along road 42 that takes you down to the South Coastline. There are some tracks in the vicinity to have fun with your 4WD vehicle. It is the largest lake on the Reykjanes peninsula. The road around the lake was being reworked, good that we had a 4WD 🙂
Other places of interest include:
- Seltun geothermal area
- Buri cave
- Raufarhoshellir cave
- Glymur waterfall
- Reykjavik - capital city - see accommodations or see my article on where to stay
- Selfoss - between Golden Circle and South Coast - see accommodations
- Vik - near waterfalls and glaciers - see accommodations
- Höfn - gateway to the East fjords - see accommodations
- Egilsstadir - between fjords and North Iceland - see accommodations
- Reykjahlid - for the wonders of Lake Myvatn - see accommodations
- Akureyri - capital of the North - see accommodations
- Grundarfjordur - to explore the Snaefellsnes Peninsula - see accommodations
Want to see more of Iceland's beauty?
Thank you so much and really appreciated.
very informative plan
Claire, the Travel Planning Geek says
I wish you wonderful travels!