Culzean Castle Scotland is one the main monument in the Lowlands. Famous for its position along the cliff and its large country park, it is a nice place to explore and relax, especially with kids.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Culzean Castle in video
Culzean Castle was not my favorite castle in terms of architecture, but its country park is definitively enjoyable. It did not have time to explore all the tracks in the forest and to the beaches, nor could I take the boat for sea views of the castle but if you have a day to spare, this could be a great spot for you.
This castle is the former home of the powerful Kennedy family. its architect was Robert Adams and it was built between 1777 and 1792.
Let's start with a short video to give you a feel for the castle from the outside and its country park.
PLANNING TIPS - Culzean Castle Scotland
How to get to Culzean Castle Scotland
- 1h15min from Glasgow, 2h20 from Edinburgh, 1h45 from Dumfries
- Post code: near Maybole KA198LE
The GPS coordinates and location on a practical map are available on the Travel Guide eBook: The Road Trip Guide Scotland
Plan your perfect trip to Scotland!
- 15 maps to easily plan your itinerary
- 170+ selected locations so you don't miss the most beautiful places
- GPS + info to make the most of your time
- 170+ original photos to get inspired
Visiting the Culzean Castle and its country park
- The main parking is in the center and a 5/10 min walk from the views of the Castle. There is also a parking near the swan pond, one near the Home Farm visitor center (toilets at all locations during opening hours) and one near the walled garden and wildlife garden
- There are footpaths and walking tracks in the forest
- The park is opened from 9:30 until sunset. The inside of the castle from 10:30 to 4:30pm (last entry at 4PM)
- The Culzean Castle is part of the National Trust of Scotland - cost is free for members. Visitors pau £17 for the castle and the park or 10£ for the park only (as per June 2016) (latest prices and opening hours here)
- Coffehouse, sweet shop and restaurant available on the ground
Entrance and drive to the parking
The entrance to the castle and its park is clearly indicated. You pay at the booth before continuing on the road.
The drive down to the castle offers beautiful views towards the sea and the isle of Arran.
Here is a map of Culzean Castle and Country Park to give you a rough idea of the place.
Activities and things to see at the Culzean Castle include:
- Touring the castle
- Walking the garden
- Observing the red deers at the deer park
- Discovering the walled garden
- Exploring the tracks in the forest to the beaches
- Admiring the swan pond and pagoda
Discovering the Castle
When walking from the parking, you discover the castle through an arch. Below are the gardens and and to the right is the Clocktower.
I arrived too late to visit the inside, but we were still allowed to get up close near the Clocktower and the castle. Looking towards the see, you can see that the castle is right on the cliff.
From the front Garden
In front of the castle is the well maintained garden and its fountain. I went up some tracks in the forest behind which had plenty of wildflowers.
The Swan Pond
At one end of the park is the Swan Pond and the pagoda. And guess what I found in the swan pond? Swans... but with babies 🙂 Adorable.
Home Farm Visitor center
At the other end of the Culzean Castle Country park is the Home Farm Visitor center with the restaurant, book shop and services.
Want to see more of SCOTLAND?
Discover more things to do & places to see in my Travel Scotland Destination Guide.
Do you enjoy exploring castles?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: