During my week on a organized tour of Jordan, I spent only half a day in the city of Amman as cities are not my favorite places of travel. I did not do all the things we can do in Amman, far from it. However, based on this great afternoon, I can give you few tips and advice to help you organize your time in Amman:
- Take time to walk around the city on foot, observe the stairs and the various shops. The whole time, even at night, I felt very safe. And look down, don’t miss the pavements!
- Go to the Citadel at the end of the afternoon because:
- the big touristy bus will have left
- you will get to see kites flying around
- the sun setting will transform the views of the city, with the building turning slightly pink
- the muezzin call from the center of the city is a magical moment
If, like me, you are there during the longest days of the year, the sunset at the Citadel will happen after closure. The policemen do a first round to tell you to leave but you still have time if you stay near the Temple of Herakles (not far from the exit). And then we a nice smile some of them will let you stay a little bit longer. Big smiles go a long way.
Although I decided to not spend more time in Amman, there are still plenty of other things to see.
I recommend having a look at the Wikitravel page for Amman.
And a lot of day tours are available departing from Amman such as
- the DESERT CASTLE which I did (see Desert Castles post),
- the Dead Sea,
- Baptist sites
- Um Quais
- PETRA – do not miss my detailed tips to make the most of your time in Petra with a map, time advice and more, – although I recommend staying there more than one day
- Wadi rum
- JERASH (check out my discovery of the ruins of Jerash almost alone)
I hope those tips / advices will help you have an incredible time in Amman!
Do not miss my 5 favorite photos of my week in Jordan!