Praia do Evaristo is a small beach in the Algarve, Portugal, unlike all the others.
No long sand stretch here. No high cliffs.
But plenty of low rock formations creating a labyrinth on the beach. And at high tide, the waves come crashing into them.
Below is my guide to help you plan your visit to Evaristo Beach with tips, maps and photos.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit Evaristo Beach in Portugal?
Evaristo is not the most famous of the beaches in Portugal.
It does not have the drama or the colors of others.
However, it does offer a splendid show at high tide.
The area is cover with low rocks, on which the waves come crashing and explode in the air.
We stayed a whole hour just sitting and watching. But I could have stayed longer, it was so relaxing!
Virtual tour - video
Below is a short video to show you the action:
More photos and details after the planning tips.
Planning tips & Map - Praia do Evaristo, Algarve, Portugal
Where is Evaristo beach located? Map
This location with its GPS coordinates and planning info is included my travel guide eBooks:
How to get to Praia do Evaristo
Need to rent a car in Portugal?
- Compare car rental prices on Discovercars.com - one of the best customer-rated comparison sites!
- Choose the car and company you prefer
- Consider their full coverage option - I always take it for peace of mind!
- Book early to have a large choice of vehicles!
- See all my 36 tips in my Portugal car rental article.
- On the beach is the Evaristo Restaurant which apparently has a good reputation for fresh fish and seafood
- Plan at least 1h to explore but I recommend longer to enjoy
- I recommend a visit at high tide for photographers and for meditation
- Few steps to reach the beach
- Facilities and restaurant on the beach
- Blue flag
- For a stay in town: Check out the best rated accommodations in Albufeira
- For a stay closer to this beach: Check out the best rated accommodations in Sesmarias
Where to stay in the Algarve?
- For the most central to all best beaches - see best rated accommodations in Portimao
- For a smaller city with charm - see best rated accommodations in Lagos
- For long flat beaches - see best rated accommodations in Manta Rota
- For a larger town with all activities - see best rated accommodations in Albufeira
Learn more about each Algarve area, in this article
Access to Praia do Evaristo
Praia do Evaristo in a small beach, but it has all the facilities.
Because there are no high cliffs, there are far fewer steps to reach the sand.
The beach is actually famous because of its restaurant which attracts fish and seafood lovers.
The beach has golden sand and low ochre cliffs.
You can explore the cliffs at the top or at the beach level for different perspectives.
But always keep in mind the dangers due to erosion.
The particularity of the beach and its surroundings is the labyrinth of rocks on the ground.
And thanks to the fact that it is further away from Albufeira and a little isolated, it has a lot of charm.
At low tide
The rocks create pools between rock formations that kids and adults enjoy exploring.
At high tide
I think the best part is to walk the side of the beach at high tide
Especially if it is a little windy, the waves com crashing against the rock formation creating a constant show.
It is mesmerizing. I could have stayed there for hours!!!
Below is a series of photos of the crashing waves.
Evaristo Beach Restaurant
The local restaurant is quite well-known in the area.
It offers seafood and fresh fish, which is perfect with the view.
It was closed at the time I visited, but I wish I could have enjoyed it.
On the picture below, it is at the bottom of stairs with the big windows.
Other beaches nearby
You can combine your visit to Evaristo with other beaches nearby.
For example you can do high tide at Evaristo and low tide at Arrifes
It is a beautiful little coves with golden sand and 3 rock formations and medium sized cliffs.
Evaristo beach to Arrifes beach = 8min drive
Learn more in this article.
It is a long sandy beach with round rock formations.
Evaristo beach to Gale beach = 7min drive
Learn more in this article.
Want to see more of the Algarve and Portugal?
- 30 Most beautiful landscapes in Portugal - read article
- Best things to do in Portugal - read article
- The best beaches in Portugal - read article
- The best things to do in the Algarve region - read article
- Benagil cave and Algarve boat tours - read article
- The magnificent Ponta da Piedade - read article
- The famous Marinha beach - read article
- The unique Tres Irmaos beach - read article
- The magnificent orange cliffs of Praia da Falesia - read article
Planning a trip to Portugal?
Check out my travel guide to help you plan:
Plan your ideal road trip around Portugal
And keep track of your own trip!
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!