The Glanni waterfall in Iceland, is not as popular as other waterfalls but it is an easy and charming stop along Road 1.
Plus, the area also offers the nice waterhole of Paradise Hollow.
Below is my guide to help you plan your visit with tips, map and photos.
This article contains affiliate links (Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit the Glanni Falls (Glanni Foss) in Iceland?
Glanni is a beautiful waterfall on the Nordura River (a great place for Salmon fishing), very close to the Grabrok Volcanic craters. The path of Glanni paradise includes a platform to see the Glanni Waterfall, stairs down to Paradise Hollow, a beautiful small waterhole, and panoramic views of the river and surrounding mountains.
The access is really easy. You get nice views from the platform but take the time to venture a bit more on the paths around for better angles.
Love waterfalls? Check out my favorites in Iceland.
More photos after the planning tips.
Planning tips & Map - Glanni Waterfall, Iceland
Where is the Glanni Waterfall - Map and location
- Along Road 1, Inland of the Snaefellsnes peninsula
- 30km North of Borganes
- Reykjavik to Glanni waterfall = 1h30 drive
- Close to the town of Bifrost and the Grabrok craters.
- If driving towards the North, turn right just before Bifrost towards the Glanni paradise golf course (it is well indicated)
- Below is a map to get your oriented and locate the waterfall:
All my favorite locations are included (with GPS coordinates, map of region and planning tips) in my travel guide eBooks to help you easily plan your Iceland road trip (5 days, 7 days, 10 days, 14 days...)
How to get to Glanni Paradise
- Easy access by car
- Carpark close to Road 1
- Tours normally don't stop here.
Need to rent a car in Iceland?
directly see the best deals on my favorite platform
Visiting Glanni Paradise (Paradísarlaut)
- Timing: I stopped for roughly 45 min there exploring different paths – Except for the first sign on the parking, things are not well indicated so I have drawn a map – see below
- Difficulty: The path is well maintained. Easy walk
- Amenities: There are toilets and a little shop on the carpark
- I have read that in the middle of Summer it is worth sitting close to the river as you can sometimes see salmons jumping upstream.
Where to stay nearby?
Nice and easy walk in nature to the Bifrost waterfall
Glanni Paradise is well worth the stop with easy walks in the middle of interesting flora and lava rocks.
It is easy to walk. The only issue may be bush branches scrapping your legs.
When I enjoyed it, autumn was starting and nature was really beautiful and colorful.
The waterfall of Glanni - viewing platform
At the end of the trail is a viewing platform to admire the waterfall.
You can also walk a little around it for different angles and views between the trees.
Paradise Hollow Waterhole
Further along the path, down the stairs, is a waterhole with emerald and turquoise water.
Had the weather been better, it would have been a very nice place for a picnic.
Why is a water hole special you may ask?
Well, 3600 years ago, the grabrok volcano erupted. The lava blocked and deviated the Nordura River.
The lava field today as a few areas where water streams comes out between the lava rocks, and this is one of the places
Panoramic views at the end of Glanni Paradise
I am glad I continued exploring to the end of the path as I was rewarded with peaceful panorama views of the river and surrounding mountains.
Want to see other highlights of the Snaefellsnes Peninsula?
- The iconic Mountain Kirkjufell and its waterfalls - read article
- Go off the beaten path to see the Berserkjahraun lava field - read article
- Enjoy the charming Glanni waterfalls - read article
- Go up to Grabrok crater - read article
- Head inland on the Silver Circle - read article
- Enjoy the lava formation at Arnarstapi, Londrangar and the other volcanic craters... read my Guide to the best things to do on the Snaefellsnes Peninsula
Planning a trip to Iceland?
Check out my travel guide to help you plan:
Plan your dream road trip in Iceland
And keep track of your own trip!
Want to see more of Iceland's beauty?
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!