Garmisch-Partenkirchen is a great getaway with many activities and stunning scenery. My favorite was taking the cable car and walking around Wankberg where you get a wonderful 360° view of the mountains around, especially Zugspitze.
INFO & PLANNING TIPS - WANKBERG
Garmisch-Partenkirchen is surrounded by mountains and has many cable cars to get to their top. Wankberg is one of them and my favorite due to its central location. It rises up to 1,780 metres (5,840 ft) at the summit. The summit can be reached with the Wankbahn, a cable car that runs during the summer months or by hiking.
TIPS FOR TRAVEL PLANNING ADDICTS - Wankberg
Getting to Wankberg
- From the city center, the bus 4 takes you to the Wankbahn station.
- They are not very frequent so on the way back, I walked to the city. I took roughly 30min downhill.
- The climb by cable car takes 18 minutes or you can hike all the way up
- At the summit you can find the Wank-Haus, with toilets and restaurant
- There are also big chairs at the top as well as a playground
- There are many trails at the top. Some remain quite flat.
View from the cable car
For those who cannot do long or uphill walks this is really good. The cable car gets you up there when you can do easy walks in all directions. The views are beautiful in all directions with some soft lower mountains or higher snow capped peaks. Here is a view from the cable car:
The view is very different from the one at the top of the Zugspitze as you have valleys surrounding the mountains.
VIEWS FROM THE TOP OF WANKBERG
Who wants to rest in those big chairs with a view?
Even with the clouds I was able to see a lot and get the magnificence of the place. Here are some of my favorite shots. I just need to know how to make 360 panorama:
The lake in the above picture is Eibsee, with its beautiful green spots.
PARAGLIDING AT WANKBERG
I saw many people enjoying the same activity a me: watching all the paragliders take off and fly away.
Leave a Reply