Are you worried about renting a car in a foreign country?
Don't want to run into any problem?
The best solution is to make a thorough check of the rental vehicle before leaving (whatever the country).
Below is my rental car inspection checklist in which I have listed:
- What to check when renting a car at the counter
- What to check on the outside of the car (including locations with common scams)
- What to check inside the car
In this article, no ads, no sponsored posts. Just some affiliate links.
If you purchase through them, I get a commission at no extra cost to you (Disclosure).
Based on my various experiences renting cars in many different countries (in US, Europe, Middle-East, Oceania...), I have gathered all that I can think of to help you have a worry-free experience.
It is as detailed as possible, for all level from first-time renters to more experienced ones who do not want to forget something.
A checklist, to bring peace of mind!
You can find a PDF to download at the end of this article, but I recommend you read it first as I added a few explanations and reasons why I included some checks.
What to check when renting a car - before booking
How to reserve a rental car?
First things first.
For a good rental experience, you myst make sure you understand the terms of your booking.
My advice is to compare car rental on a platform.
My favorite and one of the best rated is Discovercars.com - don't forget to enter your correct residence and age.
When selecting potential cars to book, pay attention to:
Car rental checklist - at the counter
For most booking, you have to finish the rental agreement at the counter.
Here are some final questions and check to make
Rental car inspection checklist - when picking up car
The most important for a worry-free rental experience, is to do a thorough check upon picking up the car.
This is where the most problems and scam occur.
- Bring a flashlight, or use the one on your phone if the rental area is a dark underground carpark
- Take a picture of all the places where you find damage
- Don't trust if the representative takes a picture and tells you it is going to be uploaded to their system - it is a new scam
- Take the list below to make a complete check, because sometimes they are good are finding damages in places you would not have thought to check.
Outside - check a rental vehicle for...
Getting ready to drive
Car rental return checklist
Location specific car rental tips
Check out all my tips about renting a car in a country / region:
- 36 tips for renting a car in Spain
- How to rent a car in Lanzarote
- How to rent a car in Corsica
- How to rent a car in Crete
- How to rent a car in Iceland
- How to rent a car in Madeira
- How to rent a car in Mallorca - 36 tips
- 36 tips for renting a car in New Zealand
- Renting a car in France: 36 tips
- Renting a car in Oman
- How to rent a car in Portugal
- 36 tips for renting a car in Santorini
- 36 tips for renting a car in Scotland
- How to rent a car in Slovenia
Download the rental car checklist (PDF) to print it
And for you to keep it handy during the entire process, you can download the PDF version: