Where to stay in Corsica? That is a good question considering how gorgeous the whole island is. There are fantastic scenery and good accommodation options everywhere. Here is my guide to help you find the best places to stay in Corsica for you.
Navigate back to the complete Corsica Travel Guide
This article may contain affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Where to go - Best areas to stay in Corsica
I think the whole island is worth a visit and a big road trip around the island is a fantastic adventure.
However not everyone wants to drive around during their vacations... So here are some tips to help you choose where to go:
- Beach Vacations - I recommend to go either in South Corsica or in La Balagne
- Hiking Vacations - I recommend either Cap Corse, Corte or South Corsica
- Short trips - I think Piana and Bonifacio are some of the most amazing places to see in Corsica and they are perfect for a 3 to 4 day stay.
- Longer stays - as a base - if you don't want to change accommodations on a road trip, I think Porto-Vecchio and Calvi are great places to settle for 1 week or 2. There are lots of things to do in each area: beaches, villages, mountains, historical sites...
Where to stay in Corsica without a car
If you are staying more than a couple of days, I really recommend hiring a car.
However if you still want a car free holiday, I recommend:
- Porticcio - very close to Ajaccio you have access to the beach and many activities are offered departing Porticcio (boat tour, canyoning...)
- Santa Giulia - only if you want to stay all the time at the beach - In the South of Corsica, you can fly to Figari, get a cab to your accommodation right by the beach and just enjoy the crystal clear water and beach activities
- Calvi - it is also a good place to stay if you don't have a car - You can fly into the Calvi airport (few flights from French towns and a couple of European towns). You can enjoy the beach right in the middle of the town. Plus there are some good boat trips to Scandola and the train along the coast that stops at many beaches all the way to L'Ile Rousse.
Where to go in Corsica on a road trip
I seriously recommend everywhere... LOL... except the East coast between Bastia and Aleria.
It is really difficult to reduce. And I don't know what you like.
With my ebooks you can see all my favorite locations with large pictures to help you decide if you want to visit a place or not:
7 Maps, 130 locations, 220+ photos
to facilitate planning
+ GPS coord.+ Tips to make the most of your time
5 Maps, 85+ locations, 150+ photos
to facilitate planning
+ GPS coord.+ Tips to make the most of your time
Corsica Hotels and Accommodations Tips
Before you start looking at accommodations, below are a few tips to keep in mind while selecting you place to stay:
- EARLY - Booking early for Summer - It is a busy destination, lots of French going on vacations.
- BEACH - Accommodation near beaches are rarely on the beach. There are only a few and they are not the best. The best accommodations are often 5min walk from the beach. See my section a little further below
- BUNGALOWS - Save money by staying in bungalows in camping (but be careful with cleaning fees) - Outside of the summer months, you can stay in those bungalows even only for a night (but it might not be possible in Summer)
- POOLS - Pools are not always heated, it depends on the hotel
- PAYMENT - Most accommodations accept credit cards. However a few B&Bs or Guesthouse in the mountains or small villages may ask for cash.
Note: all accommodations listed in this article are places where I stayed (and paid entirely) and my own selections. These are my opinions and the article has been written independently.
Best Beach Hotels in Corsica
Looking for a beach holiday in Corsica?
There is a good choice of accommodations nearby beaches for all budgets from camping to luxury, especially in the South.
As I wrote above, most of the times the accommodations are not right on the beach but not far away which allows us the keep those stunning beaches in such great condition.
Below is a selection of great beach hotels and accommodations in Corsica for you to consider:
- LUXURY - Close to the most famous beach on the island, Les Bergeries de Palombaggia are splendid with nice views, beautiful swimming pool and a lot of charm - Check out photos and availability
- LUXURY Apartments - Résidence Santa Giulia Palace offers splendid views of Santa Giulia beach and 3 swimming pools - lots of choice if you like soaking in water - Check out photos and availability
- HOTEL - Hotel le Pinarello - Right by the beach in the Bay of Piranellu - Check out photos and availability
- CAMPING - In Calvi you can stay in campsites that are only 3 min walk from the beach and shaded in the pine forest. Plus you can walk from there to Calvi and its Citadel along the beach - Check out Camping la Pinède
- CABINS - I love the options of cabins to be close to nature - At Portigliolo there are cabins close to the beach with a restaurant offering a perfect view! The campsite is environmentally conscious, and the cabins are actually quite large. Check out U Liventi accommodations
Where to stay in Corsica - South Region
Best places to stay in South Corsica
If you are opting for South Corsica, this is where you will find the largest choice of accommodations. You can stay
- In Porto-Vecchio if you want a city feel and access to many restaurants
- In Bonifacio if you want to feel the history
- Near Palombaggia or Santa Giulia if you want beach holidays
- Everywhere around in Nature. There are some great options!
Porto-Vecchio Hotels & Accommodations
10min from Porto-Vecchio I stayed at the Residence U Pirellu .
It was one of our favorite stays in Corsica. It is a residence with spacious villas, great views over the maquis and the sea.
I loved the heated swimming pool and all the activities.
Plus it was only 10min from Palombaggia and 10min from Porto-Vecchio
Check out more photos and availability
Below are my photos:
Other suggestions of accommodations in the region of Porto-Vecchio:
- LUXURY BY BEACH - Les Bergeries de Palombaggia - probably the most famous luxury accommodation around. It is within walking distance of the beach and offers fantastic views and heated pool - See photos and availability
- LUXURY CLOSE TO TOWN - The Hotel Don Cesar is very close to downtown Porto-Vecchio with fantastic views and great pools - See photos and availability
- ORIGINAL - if you are looking for something different, consider staying on a sailing boat with small kitchen facilities and close to Porto-Vecchio - See photos and availability
- CAMPING BUNGALOWS - for those looking to get the campsite vibe but with a little more comfort, consider the Asphodele Bungalows - See photos and availability
- VILLAS - Vasca dd'Oro is another residence with fully-furnished villas - See photos and availability
- Or check out all the accommodation options around Porto-Vecchio
Bonifacio Hotels & Accommodations
In Bonifacio, I wanted to be within walking distance to everything, and have a carpark.
I stayed at Hotel Santateresa. I loved the location at the end of the peninsula with free parking included, modern rooms and fantastic staff!
Check out photos and availability
But depending on what you like, here are some other options to consider:
- BY THE MARINA - Hotel Centre Nautique is located by the water and marina - Check out photos and availability
- OLD TOWN - another option inside the old town is Hotel Genovese with a top cliff location and lots of charm - Check out photos and availability
- BOAT - want something a little bit more different? Stay on a boat at Hotel Jade - Check out photos and availability
- LUXURY - for a 5 star stay not far from the marina, check out the spacious beautiful design of Hotel Version Maquis Citadelle - Check out photos and availability
- CAMPING - the closest campsite is L'Araguina - They also rent little lodges - Check out photos and availability
or check out other accommodations in Bonifacio
Where to stay in Cap Corse
Best places to stay around Cap Corse
- Before and after your tour of Cap Corse, you can stay either in Bastia on the East Coast for a city stay, on in Patrimonio on the West Coast for a wine stay
- To tour Cap Corse (see my guide), I recommend to take 2 days and spend the night at the North end in Macinaggio for example.
Bastia Hotels & Accommodations
Before you start your tour around Cap Corse, you can visit Bastia, the second largest city in Corsica.
I was underwhelmed by the accommodation options. So I stayed only for one night at a big brand hotel (Best Western)
Check out the accommodation options in Bastia
Saint-Florent Hotels & Accommodations
If you want to stay by the sea just South of Cap Corse, Saint-Florent is a great options. And it is a short boat trip away from some of the most beautiful beaches in Corsica (in the Agriates Desert). But I must admit that I prefer the vineyards of Patrimonio just 10min away.
Check out the best rated accommodations in Saint-Florent
Patrimonio Hotels & Accommodations
I love the landscapes of Patrimonio.
For example I stayed at Auberge Lustincone. I enjoyed my stay. The house has charming rooms, great food and fantastic views from the terrace and pool!
Below are my own photos:
Or check out more accommodations in Patrimonio
Macinaggio & Tomino Accommodations
North of Cap Corse you can stay in Macinaggio. It offers good restaurants, easy parking and access to the walk on Sentier de Douaniers so you can settle down in your room and head for a walk.
I stayed in an apartment at Adonis Macinaggio. It was spacious, modern and I had a fantastic view over the beach and Marina
Another option is to head in the hills behind Macinaggio for some great views of the bay, especially from the 4* hotel
Have a look at Hotel Le Tomino - Check out photos and availability
Best places to stay in Corsica around the gulf of Porto
Where to stay around Porto Corsica
- Piana - The village of Piana is located on higher ground in the Calanques. Therefore several of its accommodations offer fantastic views of the gulf!
- Porto Ota - Or you can stay directly in Porto Ota. It is now a touristic hub rather than a village. It is the perfect location for the boat trips and to explore around: North to Scandola, South to Piana and inland towards Evisa! - And in town you will find lots of delicious restaurants to enjoy.
- Cargèse - It is a great option to get away from the big crowds of Piana while being within driving distance to spend the day there
Piana hotels and accommodations
- Hotel Capo Rosso with a swimming pool and views you will never forget - Check out photos and availability
- The historical Hotel Les Roches Rouges (from 1912) - a large building facing the ocean. Fantastic views all around and delicious food - Check out photos and availability
- or check out all accommodations in Piana
Porto hotels and accommodations
Cargèse hotels and accommodations
I stayed at an Airbnb in Cargèse, because my brother was also here. So we rented a large private villa.
Where to stay in Balagne Corsica
Best places to stay in Balagne
There are 2 main hubs to stay in Balagne
- Calvi - is the largest town in the region - it has a beach, a citadel and lots of activities
- L'Ile-Rousse is a smaller resort town with a beach and a great walk to the island
- otherwise, if you want peace, quiet and history, you can stay in one of the many villages
Calvi hotels and accommodations
I stayed at Camping La Pinède. It is only a few minute walk from the beach.
They have little bungalows you can rent. It was not big, but clean and an affordable price.
Check out pictures and availabilities
Other options to consider in Calvi:
- CENTRAL HOTEL - Hotel Casa Bianca has a great clean design and is perfectly located in the city center, close to everything - Check out pictures and availabilities
- CITADEL LIVING - travel back in time (but with all the comfort...) by renting an apartment in the Citadel - Check out pictures and availabilities
- LUXURY - Enjoy a domain within a beautiful park with a large choice of accommodations at Camp di Fiori - Check out pictures and availabilities
- or check out all the best rated hotels and accommodations in Calvi
L'Ile Rousse hotels and accommodations
At l'Ile-Rousse was another one of my favorite accommodations: Hotel Casa Rossa. It is not right in the center, but not far.
It has a lot of charm. I really enjoyed the environment once inside. The rooms are spacious and we had a eating area with kitchenette.
Below are my own pictures:
Other suggestions for l'Ile Rousse:
Best areas to stay in the Corsican Mountains
Where to stay in the Corsican Mountains
- Corte is the main town in the Corsican mountains and a great central place for avid hikers.
- Otherwise on the way to Ajaccio, you can stay near the famous Cascade des Anglais, part of the GR20 walk and probably the most famous hike in Corsica.
Corte hotels and accommodations
Corte is a great town with lots of character. I love the view from the Belvedere, it is one of the best in the island.
I was not fan of our accommodation so I won't list it here.
Hotels and accommodations near Cascade des Anglais
However I enjoyed our stay at Hotel U Castellu near Cascade des Anglais. The terrace and restaurant... it is like being in a treehouse except it is a building. There are very tall trees all around!
And the food was good.
The only thing that I did not like was how the wonderful employee that did everything to make our stay very pleasant was badly talked to by who I assume were management. He was fantastic! And I told them so and wrote it on my review.
Below are my own photos:
Where to stay in Ajaccio
Ajaccio is really not my favirote town.
Tall buildings everywhere...
The only thing I like it that is his hilly so some accommodations have fantastic views of sea and mountains.
And if you hesitate between visiting Ajaccio or Bastia, head to this article.
Best places to stay in Corsica - South West Region
Where to stay in South West Corsica
- Propriano is the main town along the coast. It has great accommodation options
- If you want to experience Corsica, you can stay in Sartène which is said to be most Corsican of the Corsican towns
- Or stay by the beach at Portigliolo like I did
Propriano Hotels and Accommodations
Sartène Hotels and Accommodations
West Corsica Beaches Hotels and Accommodations
At Portigliolo I stayed in a beautiful cabins under the trees and close to the beach.
The site has a restaurant offering a perfect view of the wild beach!
The campsite is environmentally conscious, and the cabins are actually quite large. It was really enjoyable
Want to see more of CORSICA?
I hope you find your dream accommodations!
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: