The cliffs of Los Hervideros Lanzarote are one of my favorite landscapes on the island: the mix of deep blue water, lava rocks and red volcanoes is mesmerizing. A great place to just stop, sit and admire the work of nature. Below is my guide and photos to help you pllan your visit.
Navigate back to the complete Canary Islands Guide
This article contains affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit Los Hervideros Lanzarote ?
The sea, the sky, the volcanoes and the lava... Los Hervideros is one of the best places to visit in Lanzarote. Easily access, it is a short walk to explore the lava field and see the waves crashing against the cliffs. Have a look :
Los Hervideros facts
- The name Los Hervideros means "Boiling pots" because of the how the waves crash and swirl in the caves
- Located South of Timanfaya National Park, the lava is a flow from the 18th century eruptions which went all the way to the sea.
- It has been shaped by the fast cooling of the lava hitting the sea and later by the erosion creating small caves
- The red volcano behind is Montana Bermeja (112m) (Not to be mixed with the one with the same name on La Graciosa)
Video of the Los Hervideros walk
Here is a very short video of the walk at Los Hervideros Lanzarote to give you an idea of what to expect. It was filmed at high tide, but on that day the sea was very very quiet, sadly...
How to get to Los Hervideros in Lanzarote
How to get to Los Hervideros Lanzarote
- Located on the South West coast, South of Timanfaya National Park
- Easy access by a well-maintained road cutting through the lava (LZ-703)
- Playa Blanca to Los Hervideros - 20min drive
- Puerto del Carmen to Los Hervideros - 30min drive
- If you don't want to drive, there is a good choice of excursions in Lanzarote - you can book a day trips from the resort town that will allow you to visit Timanfaya, the green lagoon, los Hervideros and more... Check out program and book
- Or check out all the tours including Los Hervideros
Planning your exploration of Lanzarote
Los Hervideros (with GPS coordinates, location on practical maps and information) is included in my eBook:
Plan your trip to Lanzarote with:
- 7 easy-to-plan Maps
- 44 Scenic locations in Lanzarote
- 19 Scenic locations in Fuerteventura
- Best times to visit and photograph
- GPS coordinates and planning information to make the most of your time
Visiting Los Hervideros in Lanzarote
- No facilities on site
- Large carpark on arrival - don't leave valuables in the car
- Well maintained easy path, some steps
- Free access at the moment
- Best at high tide and at full moon for chances of seeing the waves crashing on the cliffs
- Wondering about the best place to stay in Lanzarote to admire it all? See my complete guide
Los Hervideros Caves
My favorite view of the Los Hervideros walk is right by the parking because you can see the 2 main caves, the deep blue water and the red montana Bermeja in the background. I just sat there for a while, taking the scenery in and admiring the work of nature.
In the photo below you can see the people walking the path which give you an idea of the scale:
Below is a zoom. You can see that it is possible to walk down in the lava and explore. A whole path has been set up to admire the cliffs from different angles.
There are only a few steps to walk down and explore. It is quite impressive to see how the lava cooled and created different shapes.
Below is the narrow path to reach a level below to see under one of the arches we admired at the beginning of the walk. When it is busy it might get difficult to get down there.
And here is the view with the crystal clear water and the eroded lava.
More Lava cliffs
The further path is not as smooth as the first section, but it is also a very easy path. No more caves to see but some nice lava shapes that the sea is slowly eroding. Here are a few more picturs of Los Hervideros Lanzarote:
Other carparks along the coastline
You may notice many other small carparks along LZ-703. I have tried them all. None have the amazing views and caves as the main carpark of Los Hervideros. Just more lava shapes:
Attraction nearby - Salinas de Janubio & Green Lagoon
- Salinas de Janubio - the salt pans between sea and volcanoes offer a unique scenery with colors and shapes
- The Green Lagoon (El Golfo) - A half volcano open to the sea with a black sand beach and a permanent lagoon with an intense green color due to an algae - see more photos
Want to see more of the CANARY ISLANDS?
Do you enjoy watching waves crash?
YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE: