Landmannalaugar Iceland is one of the most iconic landscapes on the island. Such painted mountains are a rare sight around the world and the isolation of the location in the Central Highlands makes it even more attractive. Below are some photos and info to plan your visit.
This article contains affiliate Links (info on the Disclosure page). If you purchase using my link, I get a commission at no extra cost to you.
Why visit Landmannalaugar ?
Photos are better than words...
Landmannalaugar Iceland is a remote location in the at the centre of the Central Highlands in the Fjallabak Nature Reserve. It stands at the the edge of the lava field Laugarhaun (flow from 1477). It is the northern end of the popular Laugavegur Hiking trail.
The name translates into 'Pools of the people'. At this location you fin a campsite, acoomodation huts and basic amenities. The camp is surrounded by colorful mountains. It is also a geothermal area where you can see many volcanic phenomena and bath in warm natural pools.
Landmanalaugar is a great place for observing the Northern light on a clear night as there is no light pollution.
PLANNING TIPS - Landmannalaugar Iceland
How to get to Landmannalaugar Iceland
- Only accessible by 4WD and crossing a pond
- By car - 4WD Road F208 from the North or the South - But you need to be an experienced off road driver, there is a large pond to cross at arrival
- By car - 4WD Road F225 from the West (starting next to Hekla) - easier a road, but there is still a large pond to cross at arrival
- Group Tour - Several bus companies have regular trips to and from there during the tourist season - check out the program and book
- Private tour - Private drivers with super jeeps can take you on amazing trip. I did one on F208 to Landmannalaugar and then Hekla. It was so worth it! Here you can find a tour with a program similar to my second one.
- Hiking the Laugavegur from Thormosk (53 km - 3 to 4 days)
Visiting Landmannalaugar Iceland
- Accessible only June and September approximately
- Activities: hiking and bathing in the warm natural pool
- Facilities at the campsite
- Shop / Coffee
Planning a road trip in Iceland?
Check out my travel guide that facilitates the planning of your itinerary:
Plan your perfect trip to Iceland!
- 8 maps to easily plan your itinerary
- 100+ selected locations so you don't miss the most beautiful places
- GPS + info to make the most of your time
- 110+ original photos to get inspired
Approaching Landmannalaugar Iceland
I arrived in Landmannalaugar from the stunning 4WD road F208. I knew we were approcahing as the mountains started showing some red and purple colors. It was funny to find sheeps in such isolated area... I also drove by a beautiful rugged lava field with incredibly shaped mountains in the background. This was a spot I loved and the pictures don't do it justice.
On the photo below you can see the Landmannalaugar campsite with the shower/toilet block and the lava field stopping just behind!
Landmannalaugar Hot Springs
As I was dizzy, I sadly decided against going on a short hike to get to the geothermal pools of the Landmannalaugar hot springs.
But to help you decide if you want to enjoy the detour here are some Flickr photos:
And if you want more you can check the article by Floating my boat about Hiking around Landmannalaugar.
The painted mountains of Landmannalaugar Iceland
Even if you don't go for a hike, you can observe the incredibly shaped mountains with red, green, purple and dark colors. It is a fest for the eyes. I wish I had stayed the night there.
Want to see more of Iceland's beauty?
Stunning, don't you think?
You might also enjoy: