There's lots of things to do in the Canary islands to explore the rugged beauty and have fun.
Below are my 11 favorite Excursions in Fuerteventura to admire the various landscapes, go off road or head to Lanzarote.
This guide also includes some of the best Fuerteventura boat trips to experience the island from another perspective.
// In this article, no ads, no sponsored posts. Just some affiliate links.
// If you purchase through them, I get a commission at no extra cost to you (Disclosure).
How to visit Fuerteventura
You have 2 main options to explore Fuerteventura:
- HIRE A CAR - If you want to see a lot of the island, best to hire a car and tour at your own rhythm - Compare car rental prices on my favorite platform: Discovercars.com - one of the best customer-rated comparison sites!
- SMALL GROUP EXCURSIONS around Fuerteventura - If you want to enjoy the beach and just enjoy some activities here and there to spice your holiday, there are many excursions available so you don't have to rent a car - you just follow the guide, sit, relax and admire the scenery
If you have decided to spend your next vacations in Fuerteventura, here are a few tings to keep in mind:
- The island is quite long (2nd biggest of the islands) and the main resort towns are at the Southern end, therefore there is a fair amount of time to spend on the road to go explore
- The various landscapes are at different end of the island: Sand dunes in the North, lagoon in the South, mountains in the center...
- Therefore most Fuerteventura tours are for the whole day, not many half day options
- Driving is quite easy, roads to main attractions are in good conditions
If you want to create your own excursions, you can go to the last section of this article.
Otherwise, here comes my selection of great day tours and activities in Fuerteventura.
3 Fuerteventura excursions - Landscapes
My favorite excursions in Fuerteventura are to see the various landscapes the island has to offer. You will see a lot less volcanoes than in Lanzarote, but it has great alternatives: mountains, large sea caves, sand dunes.
Here is some fo the top places you could see:
#1 - Inner Mountains
In the center of Fuerteventura is a volcanic mountain chain with several viewpoints.
The land is very old. Fuerteventura first appeared 20 million years ago, and most of the land was formed 5 million years ago. Therefore the shapes have been smoothed by millions of years of erosion.
The land is bare and with shades of red, orange and brown. It is quite fascinating to admire.
The highest point reaches 807m (Pico de la Zara)
#2 - Ajuy Caves
One of the main geological attractions in Fuerteventura is the complex of caves at Ajuy.
In this area, you can discover a old black beach, the basalt complex along the path that is the oldest rock on the Canary island - this is sea-floor that has been revealed. It was the oceanic crust 70million years ago (during the Jurarassic).
And at the end of the walk you can explore large sea caves.
Such a great mix of scenery and fascinating geology!
#3 - Corralejo Sand Dunes
One of the most famous landscapes on Fuerteventura, the the natural park of the Corralejo Sand Dunes. It is quite impressive right by the turquoise water to see dunes after dunes with one road cutting through it.
This is a 15km2 world of visual contrasts with white sand, dark volcanic rock and the sea.
And no, the it was not blown from the Sahara. It formed naturally from the shells of marine creatures.
Panoramas of Fuerteventura Tour Options
- ISLAND TOUR
a complete experience to introduce the history, food and landscapes of Fuerteventura. You will be able to enjoy a little of all the island has to offer
Departures from the South resort towns
Check out program and book
- PANORAMIC TOUR
A good loop of the island covering the mountains, the sea caves, the South lagoon and the sand dunes
Departures from the Northern towns
Check out program and book
2 Off road Fuerteventura Tours - 4WD excursions
Some great landscapes on the island are only accessible with 4WD vehicules. Going on an off-road excursions in Fuerteventura is a great way to learn more about the old volcanic history of the island.
Below are 2 options to consider:
#4 - Fuerteventura Off Road Jeep Safari - North
The North of Fuerteventura is a great place for off-road excursions with the sand dunes and the tracks around volcanoes
#5 - Fuerteventura Tours to Cofete - South
One of the most famous areas to visit that is only accessible via a track is Cofete. This area is wild, inside an old crater that mostly disappeared in the ocean.
You have to get to the South end of the peninsula to reach it.
Some people go there with a normal car but I think it is crazy. It is already very very bumpy with a 4WD...
But the views are worth it.
Need to rent a car in Fuerteventura?
1 Fuerteventura Boat Trip
Another great way to admire the island, is the hop on one of the Fuerteventura Boat trips.
This way you can see the scenery from the distance and maybe visit another island...
#6 - Fuerteventura Boat tour to Lobos island
- Lobos island is one of my favorite places in the Canary. You can get there by a 15min ferry - see my complete guide here
- It is a fascinating ecosystem with a large volcano, many smaller cones, a lighthouse as well as a surprising lagoon that is a reserve for migratory birds
- However for a better boat experience, you can choose to reach the island and tour is on a Catamaran
- Pick up from both the South and the North of the island
- Check out options
3 Fun activities in Fuerteventura - Dune Buggy & parks
Want something where you are more active and having fun? Check out those suggestion of Fuerteventura activities:
#7 - Dune buggy in Fuerteventura
- To combine off-road landscapes and adrenaline, consider going on a buggy tour
- You get to have fun for 3 hours from the Corralejo sand dunes to the "death valley" and around Tindaya
- Check out program and book
#8 - Surf lesson in Fuerteventura
- Fuerteventura is a great spot for surfing with beaches adapted to all levels
- Ever wanted to stand on the board and feel the waves ? You can book a 3h class
- See options
19 - Oasis park Fuerteventura
If you have kids they will also really enjoy the oasis park with all the exotic animals and the botanical garden.
It is located in the South of the island not far from Costa Calma
Purchase your tickets here (Free pick-ups are available from major hotels on the island)
2 Fuerteventura to Lanzarote Day Trips
Another great option when staying in Fuerteventura is to visit the neighbor island of Lanzarote.
They are both quite different since a lot of the landscapes from Lanzarote are quite recent compared to Fuerteventura (eruption in the 18th century).
It is actually a short ferry ride from Corralejo in the North of Fuerteventura to Playa Blanca in the South of Lanzarote.
If you don't want to organize everything by yourself, you can book complete tour with pick up, boat and bus or walking tour at the other end.
#10 - Volcano and Wine
- The volcanoes of Timanfaya National Park are impressive. Only one road goes through it with limited access. This is surreal (see my pictures here)
- This tours combines the park with a visit of the famous vineyards. Despite the lack of rain and the harsh soil, wine production is significant. You will learn how this is posssible
- Check out program and book
#11 - Ferry + bus
You can also create your own program: go shopping, enjoy some of the beaches...
Just book a tour with ferry and bus included.
Fuerteventura Volcano Walks
I don't know about you, but I am fascinated by volcanoes. That why I have spent more time in Lanzarote than Fuerteventura. If you want to explore volcanoes, in the battle between Lanzarote and Fuerteventura, Lanzarote is the winner. They are beautiful and accessible.
But in Fuerteventura you get to see older volcanoes and how they have been eroded by the elements. You feel the geological history of the such a land.
And you can enjoy a few volcano walks on Fuerteventura. Check out this 2 options I found for you:
Where to stay in Fuerteventura
You have 2 main options of places to stay in Fuerteventura that, I think, are ideal to combine relaxing time and excursions
Costa Calma is located in the South of the island, on the Jandia peninsula.
It is a great little resort town with a beach.
It is very close to the magnificent Jandia Lagoon
It is an ideal location to explore:
- Ajuy caves
- the mountain areas
Corralejo is the main resort town in the North, facing Lanzarote.
It has more of a town vibe with a great restaurant scene near the port.
It is your ideal location to explore:
- The Corralejo Sand dunes
- The mountain areas
- and Take the ferry to Lobos island or Lanzarote
Check out the best rated accommodations in Corralejo
I stayed a little bit out of town for easy access to the dunes with my car. Corralejo lodge has charming little studios. I was really pleased with the quality of the accommodation - Check out photos and availability
If you don't have a car, it might be best to stay in town.
Create your own excursions in Fuerteventura and Lanzarote
But if you are renting a car in Fuerteventura, you can create your own excursions and include some beautiful lighthouse, off the path beaches and great viewpoints.
You can find a map with 19 of my favorite places in my Lanzarote - Fuerteventura travel guide:
Plan your perfect trip around Lanzarote!
- 7 easy-to-plan maps
- 55 Scenic locations in Lanzarote
- 19 Scenic locations in Fuerteventura
- Planning tips + Best times
- 140+ large photos to decide where to go
- GPS coordinates direct to the carparks
Want to see more of the CANARY ISLANDS?
Inspired? Share it on your favorite platform!